Is downward picking a rest stroke? Will it get faster?

I really relate to this! :smile:

I remember when I first started practicing scales 10 years ago (with no knowledge of gyspy jazz) I found ascending them really easy but struggled on the descent. I slowed down and realised I was economy picking on the ascent (didn’t know what that was called at the time) but awkwardly alternate picking my way back down.

In hindsight, that probably meant I was using an USX motion but instead of accepting that as a solution (like perhaps Yngwie did) I saw this as wrong and made sure to alternate pick everything with little to no progress :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I dunno. I usually mind Ockham’s razor, and don’t speculate too much on issues like this. Usually the most simple of answers is typically the correct one, as in he just played that way and it stuck.

Whatever the truth is, it’s pretty inconsequential really. Even if he did take his picking from Gypsy players, he would never admit it, so there’s no point in speculating - it won’t really change anything.

well the thing is maybe he would admit it, because maybe he subconsciously did it in his younger years without thinking about it. has anyone ever asked him about his feelings of Django Reinhardt, and if was inspired in anyway by him?

Many have asked him what his influences are, and even the one’s he clearly has been visibly influenced by, he has denied. He sticks pretty much to a script when asked this. If it doesn’t fit the persona he has built around himself, it doesn’t exist-well according to Yngwie at least.

In any case it’s not really all that important. It doesn’t really change anything. It doesn’t make it suddenly easier to play like him than it was before. It’s merely just a potential piece of trivia.

1 Like