It's a monster solo (Nuno Bettencourt) DWPS or TWPS?

This is fine when the movements are mechanically simple. For example, if you’re trying to copy Al DiMeola’s wrist motion for scale playing, the arm position is clear, the grip is clear, there’s only one joint moving, no finger or forearm component. You will probably succeed in copying that pretty closely that if you want. And you might consider that a good “textbook” exercise for understanding wrist movement.

But when you look at players like Yngwie, EJ, Nuno, etc. where you have multiple joints moving, including fingers, wrist, arm, and the exact blend of these things changes phrase by phrase, things are more complicated. Even if you could piece that apart, I might not even want to do that work unless there was some specific thing I thought I was trying to learn.

Instead, you might try and isolate one unique mechanical thing that a player does and figure that out. Eddie Van Halen’s tremolo technique is a good example. Yngwie’s three-note-per-string ascending scalar sweeping is another. At least this way it is clearer what specific thing you are trying to copy, and what you think you’re going to learn from it.

1 Like

Yes, of course. I wasn’t very precise when I said I wanted to replicate his mechanics. More specifically, I just would like to know which notes are played in which movement, where Nuno found out (or was comfortable enough to play quite effortlessly) that these notes worked UWPS or DWPS or with Hammer-on or Pull-off.

Everything next would be to achieve it on my own, figure out by try and feel what works feels confortable. :slight_smile: See what’s happening looking at his right hand could be instructive, but as guitarists has different motion mechanics, (as you say) there is no “one way or nothing” and maybe the way I could replicate a certain lick would fit perfectly, just understanding how the pick is moving across the strings, which one is picked or not, etc.

I hope I am clear enough :confused:

After my deeper looks on his playing in the last months, I think NB is a DWPSing Crosspicker. Generally, I see some parallels to Paul Gilberts picking and string changing strategies. There are exceptions (many!) but:

1. usually they prefer outside string changes
  2. The last note on a String might be slightly palm muted legato (hammer or pull) to maintain and simplify the DWPS/Crosspicking and sound like picked. A hint from a Ben Eller Weekend Wankshop #148, 162, 164
  3. There might be one or more legato note before the last note to end the picking in direction of the next string. End on a downstroke to switch to a higher string and on an upstroke to switch to a lower string. This makes the outside string changes even easier.

I think the fast lines at the end of the solo are played like described in 3.
Legato notes towards the string change and picking after the string change.

Another observation is:

1. If playing through a, let’s say, 3nps shape ascending with lots of legato, they start with downstroke on low E and play D-H-H, A String U-H-H and all others U-H-H until high e string. On high e string ( or any string where the line starts to decent) U-D-U-P-P, next lower string D-P-P, next D-P-P and so on until low E or any turnaround string, there D-U-D-H-H back to ascending…

2. The legato/Picking strategy in 4. can also be used as a two string sequence to add more picking. Due to the legato the initial pick stroke can be D or U.
    Play the “ascending sixes” DHH UDU then to the next stringset or back to the lower string. Or circular sixes DHH UDUPP DUD repeat…
    Descending sixes UPP DUDHH UDU.

Hope that helps and is not to confusing…

Ok, just had to take a close look on It’s A Monster…

Nuno starts both strings with an downstroke. On the low string the last two notes are hammer ons and on the higher string the last note is a pull off

So it is a mix of what I mentioned above. :metal:

2 Likes

Hi Mimi. I’m a newbie to this forum and a latecomer to this thread. I wanted to learn the descending phrase in Nuno’s solo from 02:51 - 03:06 as it seems like a good picking workout, and sounds great too! I’ve got the “official” Hal Leonard transcription book, but this transcription seems wrong when I compare it to the video clips of Nuno actually playing this lick. I’ve tried to download the accurate tab from your link but it seems that the link no longer works. If you could re-post the correct transcription with a new link or email a copy to me, I’d be very grateful. Many thanks in anticipation. Best wishes. Dave.

Nuno posted this Yesterday, so he’s not playing all the notes:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CK9rX2ZhWQ_/?igshid=vwpl7q7ctya0

5 Likes

Bakerman coming in hot. :fire:

2 Likes

Are you the Bakerman? :open_mouth:

I have a Young Guitar with Nuno where he talks about his right hand muting, to get that staccato sound out of legato licks. You can play around with your palm position while doing a simple hammer on lick 5 7 9 on the wound strings and hear that Nuno thing.

I also believe he does the Eddie trick, which is the I’m the One fill lick. It sounds picked or legato, you can’t really tell. Jude Gold nailed it on his podcast, which is pick the first note, hammer, pick the last note. It’s a swing feel, so think of the triplet as a quarter/eighth note triplet swing. D u D u D u, now throw in the middle hammer D h u, still swinging. Once you get it, you can fly. Add that little bit of the palm mute and it’s Eddie and Nuno to a tee.

Thanks for posting this!

I had to scroll up on the thread to see if I’ve commented on this before. That’s how old I’m getting. But in the intervening years, I’ve actually looked at live footage of this, and there are five picked notes on the low string, so that a downstroke is the final note on both the lower string and the upper string. Same as what you have, just one extra pickstroke.

Edit: I’m sorry, I haven’t had my coffee — you have the legato starting on the fifth note so yes I agree! I would just add that the fifth note itself is a downstroke. My bad.

Here are the sources for the pixel peepers:

The Boston show is pretty heavily overdubbed and I’m pretty sure the Monster solo is overdubbed here as well. The best bet is to shut the sound off and look at the picking motions. They’re the same as the Donngington show.

So Nuno appears to be a downstroke escape player here, wrist motion specifically, similar to Al Di Meola.

1 Like