Jason Becker. Als. Speed?

Evidence? Like that there are youtube videos of female guitarists who hold the pick differently?

Idk where this boo hoo I can’t do this crap is coming from.
Projecting…

I’m talking about a pretty unique individual, doesn’t mean I’m saying you can’t improve.
This is a total deflection.

I’ve seen it in person, read it online, and there was a study I read about it, I can’t remember where tho so take it with a grain of salt. Need I even say that…

And based on how no one cares about the scientific literature I posted I’m not going to bother searching for it. I’m not a prodigy in memory unfortunately. To stressful for me.

I know you didnt, i just had the overall impression that we are having the old “practice-vs-talent”-Discussion, without anyone arguing for the extremes, as usual.

I guess that makes two of us.

By show it easily, you mean go to the trouble of setting aside some time to record myself playing some piece that meets your particular standards. Time I could spend doing something I would actually enjoy more. Time I could spend working on something more important to me, or something that I actually need to do.

I say I can’t be bothered because I’m not bothered.

Nor do I believe you to be a dummy.

That’s not my position at all. I absolutely believe in innate, natural variation which manifests as differences in performance across every activity. I also believe that most people are absolutely terrible at accurately judging their own particular advantages or disadvantages. Some mistakenly believe that literally nothing is beyond them to their own detriment, and that accomplishing wild goals is their destiny, something they are entitled to only because of how badly they want it. Others with high potential believe they can achieve far less than they could.

All I’m saying is, keep an open mind and keep trying. Whoever you are, whatever your potential, the moment you stop trying, the moment you close your mind to the possibilities of what you might achieve, you deny yourself any chance you had of succeeding, however slim that chance may have been. Unlikely events happen all the time. People win lotteries. It could be you.

It’s honestly a fascinating subject in it’s own right, but it’s not related to fast guitar playing.

I never said there wasn’t. I even said that I felt Jason had a high degree of natural dexterity and a strong intuition for the guitar. I said I don’t believe any claims about freakish nervous systems, which I don’t.

No, you’ve posted a few scientific texts which suggest correlations which are still largely unexplained. You’ve recognized a coincidence between what they suggest and one particular example, namely Jason Becker’s guitar playing and his present condition. You’ve then taken the suggested correlation as evidence that there is a direct, causal link between Jason’s extreme playing and his present condition.

Correlation is not causation, nor is it evidence of such.

This guy. This guy gets it.

Correction taken. Very special people indeed.

Your story is exactly in line with the point I was trying to make.

That wasn’t my intention at all. I’ve just noticed a fairly common theme of “us and them” or “normal people” vs “special people” on guitar forums in the past, including here. I think it’s a dangerous mindset to start falling into, and I felt it made sense to discuss those feelings here. If I’ve derailed your thread from it’s intended topic, I’m happy to bow out and let you get the discussion back on it’s intended track.

2 Likes

You are totally ignoring the research I posted.

Shame, I was looking forward to a BJ

The papers have info on soldiers, athletes and handiness. You must of missed it, that text has a large number of citations.

No it’s cool, I do think you’re willfully ignoring parts of what I’ve posted due to the “normal people” vs “special people” concept, but that’s not what I’m doing.

In my experience of watching guitar players, Jason is an anomaly. A guitars players player. The sheer flash of what’s going on can in general go over people heads. Such as great comics that don’t have mass appeal yet are lauded by their peers.

We can agree to disagree, I am in no doubt infatuated with Jason.
His personality, demeanor, skill, composition. All aspects of highly interconnected motor cortex btw.

And look I’m even following your example of quoted posts :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

This is not acceptable. Please see the forum guidelines. Disagreement is fine; personal attacks / shit talking is never okay here. I’m not getting involved in the substance of this discussion but I’ll close the topic if we can’t keep it a civil discussion.

Sorry Brendan, I am only being playful. Zero attacking going on.
Just banter.

I Apologize if it’s taken the wrong way, but fairly obvious joke lol. I will re read the guidelines.

1 Like

Not a fair assessment. I read it.

The research suggests correlations which are coincident with the focus of this thread. the do demonstrate a causal link. Correlation is not causation. Correlation is not evidence of causation.

A paper clearly demonstrating a causal link between heightened nervous activity and degenerative disease, with a clearly described mechanism of action, that would be evidence, and could be used as support for the claim that Jason’s playing may have contributed to his present condition. That’s not what was shared.

Again, not willfully ignoring. Skeptical. I don’t think the research you’ve referenced implies what you think it implies. Different interpretation maybe. Maybe there’s something in there I haven’t fully understood. That’s entirely possible too.

Anyway, I’ve said my part and I’ve nothing more to add to it.

Cool, I’ll leave it there then. Jason was an awesome player with a distinctive, personal style. We can agree on that much at least.

It’s a good feature. I think it helps make long posts more intelligible when responding.

Peace.

2 Likes

Unfortunately the money’s not there for proper als research. Leaving us all in the dark.
I don’t mind the topic going off topic or whatever, that’s why I posted it in GMD.

Something I’ve always wondered is why he won’t use eye tracking tech to use a pc.
I imagine he likes that someone has to be there for translation. Must be so insane to lose control of your body. Like those dreams where you try to run and can barely move.

And from a high of being touted as one of the best at such a young age.
But I guess in many ways he’s lucky, it would be horrible to have that condition without the recognition. So in many ways I feel so much more for people like drews uncle. He must be a damn strong person.

Says the man claiming ALS was the secret to Becker’s speed.

Seriously, this whole line of questioning is kind of offensive, and I really don’t think it has a place in this forum.

1 Like

Well, tbh if I can’t openly talk about stuff I don’t want to be on this forum.
No offence to you Drew. wish you the best.

This is not what I said at all. And is an emotionally driven response.

I understand if you’re personally affected by it. But to attempt to silence another’s voice with “i’m offended” is childish.

I respect if Brandon says gay jokes are against the rules. I disagree with it, but not my forum. And I respect you Drew and any pain you feel due to als affecting your family.

But life is hard for all of us. Live and let live.
I shouldn’t be scared to bring up topics that interest me and create activity on the forum. We are Adults. Pc culture will kill your enjoyment of life.

Feel free to lock or delete this. Or ban me.

Look: there’s a difference between talking openly (fine), and being dismissive and antagonistic to others in the conversation (not gonna fly).

In my experience complaints about “PC culture” often arise when someone wants to say whatever the hell they want with no repercussions, and without regard to how others feel. You can disagree if that’s a fair assessment here, but that’s kind of the vibe I’m getting and I don’t like it.

Your own words earlier in this topic include “Idk Wtf I’m talking about” and “I am talking out my ass” so I don’t think you can reeeally be surprised you’re getting pushback on all this.

Not banning you but please consider this a warning. I am going to close this topic now — we generally try to have a pretty light hand moderation-wise but I think this discussion has run its course.