Joe's DBX Magnet Practice

oh no it’s definitely not “tu” long , that’s just the nature of the journal-type threads. Looking forward to meni more clips.

lol! You’re so witty :slight_smile:

If you were thinking more in terms of scrambling eggs, do you mean like whipping them up in a bowl? If so clockwise or counterclockwise? Both? This is pretty close to how I tremolo with free floating wrist, I often thought if I whipped in peanut butter could I strengthen it?

Not to brag but I am VERY good at scrambling eggs. I never really thought about how I do it since it comes so naturally to me. Thinking through it, I guess if anything there would be a VERY slight clockwise motion the way I do it. But to be clear I use a fork, not a whisk. And this is not at all a stirring motion. It feels like all flex/ext

I like the peanut butter idea, since I also like peanut butter. It is really great on sliced apples. Just make sure you get smooth and not chunky as I could see that manifesting in a picking motion prone to garage spikes. For an even better challenge, try some of that “all natural” peanut butter where the oil is separated. That is really hard to stir. I’ll bet if we put that into our routine we can give Igor Paspalj some competition.

Haha, that guy is a speed demon!

This is how I would do it as well fork, and has more of flex/ext.

I also think if you just use the thumb and index doing the cesario filho bent thumb thing in peanut butter we might could strengthen that big time.

1 Like

Here are some early attempts at Tumeni Notes (clean B section)

The excessive amount of thumb hanging past the pick looked weird to me.

So I tried another where I attempted to do less of that

I think that’s a better take, and it still looks like more thumb hangs out than how I feel to be holding the pick. So I don’t know if it’s depth perception with the closeup, or if it slips some while I’m playing. Or if it…even matters :slight_smile:

There definitely seems to be more speed in this setup though. The “hard” part is tracking correctly and not swiping occasionally.

Anyway, just wanted to give this a baseline after tooling around with this form for a little less than a day’s time.

Another thing I’m going to mess with is if I even need this 3 finger grip from this supinated posture. @Troy mentioned on some other threads how finger length may play a role in the setup we need here. I’m definitely the average Joe (about 5 feet 10 inches tall), but according to google my hand/finger length is above average. The crease in my wrist to the tip of my middle finger measures almost exactly 8 inches. The average in some study was 7.6 inches. I can probably easily just go pad to pad between thumb and index and still reach the strings. That’s another experiment for another day. I don’t want Tumeni variables at once.

EDIT: I forgot to mention this to @cmcgee11235 since we’d talked about this Morse grip in another thread.

3 Likes

Sounds pretty good so far! Maybe I’ll try it out again as well here soon, trying to focus a bit more on writing for a while though

1 Like

Looks good.

If you do a tremolo with this form at various tempos from slow to fast, what do you see? Try it it with a metronome and film it. Don’t think about the motion any more than you usually do. I suspect you’ll see dbx switching to either single escape or trapped after a certain point. Are there tempos where it switches or is it a gradual transition?

For science!

Here you go @Troy

Sorry I’m still struggling with my phone and getting a good angle lol! You might have to turn your head sideways when you view these haha!

Throughout the whole thing I’m trying 6’s to the click. Starts at 90 bpm and goes up 10 bpm each video

I did like you advised and tried to not really think about the motion, just assumed the Morse setup and went from there.

Overall, this motion is still new to me. Doing it at 120 and and especially 130 feels challenging. The struggles in those clips make appear like I’m still trying to figure the motion out (which I guess I sort of am). Reminds me of TC’s where you have people try several motions to see what they are naturally good at, then we see struggling to find the attack and not get caught on the string etc. BUT we don’t have many examples of DBX above 6’s at 120 bpm (equivalent to 16ths at 180 bpm) so maybe that means I’m in the ballpark. It feels ok up to 110 and that gives me Tumeni Notes required speed, with a few bpms to spare even.

Interesting, thanks for doing this! And thanks for making me turn my laptop upside down. Thankfully I switched to the Air last year so no problem.

Because of the sextuplets, your slowest speed here is still a little on the “fast” side to see what the motion really looks like when it slows down. If you do this at progressively slower speeds, is there a point where it becomes double escape, or is it always trapped?

I’m just asking because of a few outstanding technical questions we have about which motions players choose when it doesn’t technically matter, and whether there’s any reason we should care about that as a potential diagnostic. i.e. Whether it is a signifier of different picking styles, with different advantages.

More generally, you have some amount of DWPS going on in these clips and that’s giving you garage spikes on the upstrokes. I think that’s at least one reason why the motion is stalling. As supporting evidence, you can also see the motion trying to become USX at various points. And when it does, it sounds smoother. Ergo, this form may be a little more USX-y than you want for mixed escape playing.

This is a lot of supination, so you should have no problem flattening this a little to get a zero-degree pickslant. That may center the motion better anyway.

1 Like

Thanks for taking a look. And yeah the slight dwps is a recent experiment because I was tweaking things and thought I got a little boost from it on the Tumeni Notes head. Guess it is a little too much. I did actually notice the more usx preference in some of these. It also looked to me like the downstrokes were…smaller/shorter??? I will try straightening up a little to more neutral and see how it goes. I will also try some slower tremolo too.

This is potentially a sign that the arm is tilted too far. You are making a semicircle, but one side of it becomes trapped. This can also mean that the range of motion is off, where if you imagine the semicircle, you are only picking one half of it, or just beyond one half, to produce a motion that looks like a “J” or an “L” depending on which side of the semicircle you are picking. The idea is to make sure the wrist is straight compared to this shape so the mid-point of the motion is centered at the bottom of the semicircle. And then to make sure the arm is tilted to center the motion. Either / both of these adjustments fixes this issue.

1 Like

Ever had problems with the pick attack of your upstrokes in your rolls?

I can sorta play rolls around 140-150bpm with DBX but my upstrokes are getting a bit lost, not sure if the motion is defunct and I should try something else or if I just need to tweak it a little bit :slight_smile:

I can’t say I’ve experienced that. BUT if you’re in that tempo range, I wouldn’t even worry about pick attack (yet). I guess that’s pretty broad because pick attack can be affected by pick point (i.e. pick orientation whether it’s pointing toward the head or bridge) pick tip pointy-ness (i.e. round vs pointy) , pick grip, pick thickness etc. You’re right, all these are just tweaks. I’d much rather have a fast motion where the pick attack needs a little love than a great pick attack but be stuck below 120 bpm :slight_smile: One of those scenarios has a bright future, the other is a dead end lol!

1 Like