John McLaughlin at the Crossroads Festival Sep 2026

Really solid playing, especially considering that my man is pushing 85 years old.

10 Likes

Yep saw that. Amazing. He’s doing pentatonic Jimmy Page / Mr. Crowley triplets with pure alternate at one point. Obviously not at his prior level but it’s hard to nit pick someone who was born when WWII still had three years to go. And I honestly think the tone is at least part of it – it’s hard to get smooth attack with that fuzztone type overdrive he’s using. Go John!

3 Likes

He has very, very impressive dexterity and clarity of mind for an 84 year old.

1 Like

This man’s sense of rhythm is glorious. It’s a privilege to still see him perform.

1 Like

I saw him on tour with Jimmy Herring a few years back, in what at the time he was saying was his last tour (and maybe it was and he’s just doing one offs like this now). It was awesome show for a couple reasons, and part of them were non-guitar (I went with a former colleague/mentor who’s since retired), but it was a HELL of a night of music. Both players are awesome. John’s we’ve looked at but I’d be curious fora deeper dive on Herring’s, his picking has this odd sort of forearm rotation to it that makes me wonder if it’s some sort of double escape movement.

1 Like

Yeah I agree regarding what I suspect to be Jimmy Herring’s motion. And yeah, the last time I saw John was with Shakti in 2023 and it was wonderful.

1 Like