Keeping the wrist healthy

So the “blues” or three-quarter position for the thumb (i.e. planting it between the skunk stripe and edge of neck) seems to help keep the wrist straighter, which is healthier. Anyone got a soft-V (Clapton-style) neck profile? Is the idea there to encourage/facilitate the blues position? (If so, that’s something to think about in my case…)

For my kid’s sake, as well as anyone else in pain who finds their way here, I’ll sum up most of the advice so far from this thread:

1. Pain is usually no gain
    If it hurts at all, stop. Think. Experiment. Don’t just ‘play through it’. (Not talking about fingertip calluses; that discomfort’s to be expected. Talking the wrist or other joints.)

2. Check out trigger point therapy

3. Do the 25% test periodically
    Saw this from a teacher (justin?): fret a chord cleanly. Feel it; remember the feeling before releasing. Now do it again with so little pressure that the strings just buzz; slowly, slowly apply more pressure just until you get a clean chord. Think 25% of the force your used the first time. Feel that. Feel a difference between the two? It’ll take time, but the second one’s what you’re shooting for.

4. T & 2
    With all fingers down on adjacent frets, shoot for your thumb to be roughly under finger 2. Too far in either direction = tension = potential for injury.

5. Flat wrist
    Very important. Watch for:
    -guitar slung low on strap (forces a sharp wrist angle; not good)
    -angling the fretboard so you can see it better (also forces a sharp wrist angle; not good)
    -any chance to use the “blues” thumb. I.e. position thumb not on the skunk stripe/center of neck, nor hung over the edge, but somewhere in between.

6. Capo
    My own thought here, in combination with @Drew’s point… Using a capo, especially around fret 5 or higher, will a) make it easier to fret (the force required to press down strings near the nut is much greater than when you’re instead near a capo), and b) get you onto the slightly thicker, higher part of the neck, which cuts down on wrist tension. [Stretches will also be easier, though at least one classical guitar pedagogue thinks your hand is actually stronger and more dexterious in larger stretches.]

7. Start back small
    Play as little as 5 minutes a day if you’re coming back from a minor injury (not so minor - see a doctor) - using all the above pointers.

1 Like