Kiko Loureiro picking

I’d be interested to know what you guys make of Kiko’s picking technique. Here is an old video of him with some great shots of his picking hand. He seems to hold the pick almost parallel to the strings and uses a very delicate looking grip.

3 Likes

Looks almost like Yngwie.
DWPS with very efficient movements.
All that hight efiiciency players always look incredible elegant … makes me jealous :disappointed_relieved:

:grin:

2 Likes

Infuriatingly clean and efficient! I recall that in this video he was able to pick some pretty fast 3nps warmups alternating between high and low E strings :open_mouth: - this would go beyond the Yngwie system!

2 Likes

I see pick slanting when he sweeps. But his alternate picking looks like cross picking to me.

Here’s a clip with a better close up of his picking hand:

3 Likes

Yes the beginning seems to be crosspicked to me too.
Later on he seems to switch to TWPS, the fast passage looks like DWPS again to me again.
The intro of the first video is clearly DWPS - he has multple motions and switches as needs them.
Anyway he seems to be natural DWPS player and it looks devistating effortless.

1 Like

Nice find @Kean! I never knew Kiko did a Lick Library video.

1 Like

We were (kinda) discussing it right there, there’s a few videos at a nice angle from NAMM in company of Lisa-X.

Bumping this.

Aside from being a pretty cool take on practising with a nice way of playing an arpeggio that isn’t the Guitar Center special “the Sweep™” (© Ben Eller) towards the end where he plays the different arpeggios in succession you can see that wide string changing motion: crosspicking. Which, for people who have listened to Angra wouldn’t be a surprise to see. I recall one of the two guitarists, either Bittencourt or Loureiro saying that Steve Morse had an influence on the band’s third album, Fireworks.

2 Likes

I’m really into Kiko’s work (solo and Megadeth, Angra isn’t really my thing) and I’ve been fascinated by his picking motions and strategies.

If someone has done any analysis on his playing, it would much appreciated to tell us a few things. I’m still a newbie in terms of recognising and analysing those mechanics, not looking for ready made work for me to study, just some insights.

2 Likes

All I can offer you is a picture of how Kiko holds his pick.

I can’t say which guitarist made that comment but I saw Angra with Bittencourt a couple weeks ago and was surprised at how much his hand setup reminded me of Morse.

Kiko Loureiro is a Masterful mind-blowing super creative amazing unique guitar player! Sorry I had to say it :yum:

Kiko talking about practising. He mentions the ability to focus for a long while, dedicated practice, fractioning the difficulties, improvise with the technique you want to use on a certain of solo, and other stuff.

1 Like

Here’s Andy James teaching a lick to Kiko Loureiro around at the 9:20 mark. You can visibly see that Andy, who mostly is a single-escape guy (or whatever the term is) sweeps it at least partially while Kiko, even after being made aware by Andy that it’s “supposed” to be a sweep, still uses alternate picking anyway.

3 Likes

What is very inspiring about this is that Andy is very open about his limitations and about his strategies for getting around them. He seems an advocate for “the path of least resistance” (quoting Strunz!).

At 11:25 for example he said something along the lines of “I don’t like how that feels, so I replaced it with that”. I think this is great insight into how many pro players go about their craft, and I would probably try and do the same if I were to perform live.

3 Likes