Left handed Playing Right

I, too, am a left-handed person that plays guitar right handed. I started taking lessons back in the 80s when I was 12 years old and at my first lesson my teacher told me I was holding the guitar wrong and to flip it around the other way, so I did. About two years later I was writing something in front of him and he goes “You’re a lefty but you play guitar like a righty? Why is that?”

I pointed out that he was the one who told me to flip the guitar around and he laughed and said, “Well you should have told me you were left-handed and I would’ve helped you get a left-handed guitar.”

So basically my entire life I’ve been playing guitar wrong handed for me. IMN OK guitarist but I truly believe my speed picking would be much faster and natural had I learned to play guitar in a way that felt natural to me. To this day I still look at cheap used lefty guitars and try and talk myself into buying one to see if I could quickly become a faster player playing left-handed.

For many years when I would play air guitar at concerts I would look like I was playing like a lefty; but then when I pick up an actual guitar, I play righty. And also still to this day when I don’t have a guitar in my hand and I’m thinking about playing, I have to make a mental picture of holding the guitar like a righty. Like I will take my thumb and rub the calluses on the tips of my fingers on my left hand and mentally go “ OK so my other hand is the one I pick with.”

I can’t wait until we get the magnets and I can capture some video of my picking and post it up to the forum here for review.