Magnet alternatives

ok, I got mine today. It works and suction isnt a problem with heavy phones. The only issue I have is that it bounces a lot when I pick up speed. Maybe that is just a problem with having a heavy phone, or maybe because my technique requires a lot of movement.

Maybe you’ll have better luck if you attach it to your desk and just turn it around so you get a down-the-neck view.

Hey guys I found a solution for under $10. A Dewalt clamp and two little clamps. It’s a bit fiddly getting the phone in the right place but then it works fine. Here is a pic.

5 Likes

Is that a magnetic base on there too?

It is. however, I have significantly simplified it since then. It is now just the clamp with the magnets attached directly. Less hassle and works even better.

I just took the magnets out of the phone mount because I didn’t have any others lying around but any two magnets should work fine. The Phone mount also has a little metal plate that goes inside your phone case for the magnets to stick to. Any piece of thin metal should work

1 Like

Looks like the magnets are tall enough that the phone clears the trigger part of the clamp…

This is awesome. Do you think this would work for a heavier phone, like a Galaxy Note?

I don’t see why not. I suppose you might need slightly bigger magnets if anything but in principle it should be fine.

@Brendan and @Troy, is Gumroad still the place to buy the Magnet plans, or are they available directly through troygrady.com somewhere?

Yep still via Gumroad for now! Link here: https://troygrady.com/magnet/

We’ll probably get it somewhere on troygrady.com eventually, we just haven’t yet made a way to manage downloads with arbitrary files (e.g. PDFs only) since this is really the only thing we have that’s not videos or zip files of clips / tabs.

Love the creativity by folks here!

1 Like

Just seen this vid by Levi Clay:

A company has made 3D printed magnet type thing already made. Haven’t watched the whole thing, but it seems to be less elegantly designed than the ctc magnet and judging by the comments it is around 200 dollars. So not particularly cheap, but if you got the money and can’t be bothered to get the magnet parts and assemble, it might be the very thing!

1 Like

Thanks for sharing! I have used your example to build my 10$ magnet. Is compact and works amazing. I placed some magnets on the clamp and some in my iphone cover.
Here a couple of pics. Irwin Quick-Grip 115mm; Magnet Expert 15mmx2mm

2 Likes

I’m so doing this tomorrow!!

1 Like

That looks great I like the extra depth from the double magnets to help clear the clamp :sunglasses:

1 Like

GGKOB, that’s awesome. I did have a little difficulty with the clamp though. Tried two brands, both about that size (35 lbs), and with each the phone caused the clamp to slip. I went up to the next size (100 lb.); problem solved. Another thing if you’re trying this at home - the metal insert you put into the phone case should probably be about the same size as the case. If it’s smaller (my first attempt was), you also get instability. May want the magnets on either side of the jaw, as in my pic if it uploaded (once more, stability). But again, GG, you’re the man for hacking this:)

Almost exactly what I do. I use two baby (6 inch) jorgensen clamps. One clamps to the guitar and the other clamps to the phone to the first clamp.