Mixed escape lines

I’m not too sure if this is the right topic to post this in, so I apologise in advance if it is not!

Does anyone know of any good lines for practicing mixed escape, and to help broaden my mixed escape vocabulary? I’m looking for something different to things like the ‘Paul Gilbert lick’ and ascending/descending 3nps scales. If there are any good examples on the cracking the code website as well, please let me know!

Thank you :slight_smile:

Not sure what access you have (membership etc) but the Anti Gravity seminar has stuff in it that requires mixed escape. I recall some Di Meola examples. Here’s a publicly accessible one

Keep in mind Anti Gravity is old and terminology has changed a lot. Anywhere Troy says “2 way pickslanting” it’s just referencing to change in escape and you can get that without any overt “flopping”. Troy’s demo of it is super subtle and even though his understanding of things has changed, you can see from his technique that his hands knew this stuff all along :slight_smile: You can have a pretty central hand position and access both escapes from the wrist joint alone.

Paid stuff I can think that would be relevant is here:

Also there are classical pieces. I transcribed the opening theme to Anton Oparin’s arrangement of a Paganini caprice.

Anything of Anton’s is going to have tons of mixed escape, and some killer DBX fortunately/unfortunately depending on your view of things :slight_smile:

I’ve been working on DBX and mixed escape a lot lately, like the past year or so. I got the best results by just trying to play things that required the mixed escapes. After all, that’s Troy’s number 1 piece of advice for this from a “prescriptive” standpoint. Once you have an understanding of the technique required, the way to learn it is to “do” it by assembling a wide variety of phrases that require it. That’s how all the masters learned this stuff without the benefit of all the knowledge we have. Of course, they were intuitive enough to know when it didn’t feel right vs when it did, and pursued all the things that felt right while throwing out what felt wrong.

Good luck!

3 Likes

A good thing to work on is the first solo break from Crazy Train. Requires mixed escape, but the speed isn’t super fast, so it’s not too lofty a goal to play. I wrote all the string changes as outside, but you could tackle this several ways…

2 Likes

I’ve come up with an exercise in mixed escapes. Though it’s not really a line unless you turn it into one. If you do it alternate picking you go through all three picking techniques. Past post.

You can turn this into a line yourself, even strokes on one string and odd on the other. Turns it into an alternating, alternating pattern. Or mixed escape?

1 Like