Morse Grip Help

Hey guys! But probably more specifically @Troy. I’ve adopted the Morse Grip over the past 2 weeks. It’s solved crosspicking. But I find that I swipe like crazy on lines that are more than 1nps. I know Steve did as well in the interview/analysis. But have you figured out anyways to eliminate swiping with the technique?

I swipe on the 2nps that start with downs, clear if I start with ups

and I swipe into the ascending string in 3nps patterns but clear on the upstrokes when descending. IE DUD swipe UDUDU clear DUDUD Swipe ect ect ect.

For me I find a more rounded pick helps a lot when using the middle finger due to the way the way the pick strokes are more arched.
The swiping is not too much of an issue if the strings muted, I know it adds a sound and is not necessarily clear, but I think it adds character. Tho thats your call, I’d personally leave it. And two weeks is not a long time at all to get control of the finer details. A year on and I bet it will mostly sort itself out by feel.

One thing that I do a lot with the middle finger grip is what I’d call pecking. Tho Troy is not a fan of it as far as I’m aware.

But it works for me.

1 Like

I should add that Troy is definitely correct in what he is saying. But in my experience the pecking motion is very helpful for certain passages. And for me it works, it’s just like button mashing on video games, you can really get it up to a high speed.

But as one of my fave sayings goes. Different strokes, different blokes.

I apologize for the non existent production. Hope it helps tho :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like