Most ergonomic position for playing when sitting?

How do you guys using the classical position get around the issue with twisting the torso to the left and pain in the right shoulder blade from extending the arm round to pick?

1 Like

So cool. I’m only guessing, but I’d bet that right-shoulder-hike had something to do with this innovation.

As for twisting torso… If you’re not ready to hack up your guitar body, you might try something that’s worked well for me. I put something about 8-10" high on the floor and put my right shin down on it while sitting. This lowers my thigh, allows me to position the guitar without hiking my shoulder - and without forcing my torso to twist.

This is interesting, it shows how John Petrucci sits, where he might (?) have a slight rotation in his spine to keep his left shoulder away from the guitar? I also looked up Michael Romeo. I think that both of these guys are close to what I view as the most ergonomic way of sitting, but be warned that I know nothing about ergonomics! :rofl:

Petrucci twists his torso in the video a lot, this would kill my spine and right shoulder after a short time and Romeo is pretty darned hunched over.

The more I think about this the more I think the classical position is not suited to sitting down electric guitar and that it’s better to use the rock position and just try to sit up straight.

The hunching/twisting/right shoulder/left wrist issues are reduced quite a bit (for me at least) by pushing the headstock forward in classical (i.e. left leg) position.

That said, I constantly move back and forth between the rock (i.e. right leg) and classical positions when I sit. I doubt I spend more than 10 minutes at a time in one position before switching.

And I push the headstock forward in rock position too.

I have no problems when I use a classical-ish seated position, even though I rotate my spine slightly when I do it. But if we’re bottom lining it, I think standing with a strap that you’ve adjusted optimally for yourself is superior to any seated position. Sitting is highly conducive to slouching no matter how you slice it. Standing with the guitar on a strap is ideal unless you sabotage yourself by choosing an excessively massive guitar.

1 Like

Classical position all the way. Keep your back as straight as possible, relax your shoulders.

On the right leg kills my back because of the hunch. I use the left leg (with small footrest), but the headstoke pointing forward a little and my right leg is point out to the right (about 1 or 2 o’clock)

I found this video on youtube, to me it’s the best you’re going to get I think: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtZ7EUrsnR8&list=RDqtZ7EUrsnR8&start_radio=1&t=243

Classical position feels great for picking but the lower back and shoulder blade pain really isn’t worth it. I think there is an element of that I have played for 20 years in the rock position so my body is used to that whereas the classical position guys have gotten their bodies used it over the years.