Music you discovered later in life that totally blew your mind

Darn I can’t figure out how to get this data

Really too much to list, this week had a few interesting ones.

I love dover and song for george but this track I missed, I think it’s become my fav album from Mr.Johnson.

This track blew me away, love the violin intros, and the solos are just ethereal. I even liked his vocals on it.

Hi-Jivers has really grown on me this week.

Really love her voice but the guitar player has this minimalist style but still puts down a solid grove.

I find his strat playing really interesting, he picks between the bridge and the pickup, very reminiscent of telecaster players, not afraid of the back pickup spanking clean.

Gerry Mulligan, I hadn’t heard this album, the had trouble getting past the first track, had it on repeat, really hard swinging track that’s on fire till the last note.

There’s a lot more but these are the highlights :smiley:

edit: ok there’s one more that blew me away track after track!

1 Like

I’ve listened to this song thousands of times in my life and it still gives me chills. I’ve also always loved this song from Venus Isle:

As for myself, there’s a lot of music that I’ve discovered more recently which has really resonated with me deeply.

I didn’t start listening to Kate Bush until my mid twenties. I got into Parliament in my late twenties. I was in my early thirties when I got into Nine Inch Nails.

2 Likes

Not so much “discovered”, but with age a gained more appreciation for some of the quirky background and incidental music from TV and movies of the 60s and 70s, as well as playful compositions of the period like this:

Al do meola. I never once in my 25 years or so of playing even once thought about any type of jazz guitar. After researching fast alternative picking years ago I stumbled on dimeola. I was blown away never had I Heard instrumental music that was this interesting. His first two solo records are just insane. I always seam to come back to them for inspiration. This also led me to players like Joe pass and Wes Montgomery. If only 14 year old me had the internet, or bought one less megadeth record and got a Joe pass one instead

1 Like

Evergrey, ngl I have no idea how these guys evaded my listening for so long given how much symphonic/prog/power are my favorite metal subgenres.

Another band that proves the Swedes are the absolute masters of melody. Kinda like Symphony X minus a bit of neoclassical flair (maybe a bit more Shadow Gallery than Symphony X) with that gloomy darkness that a band like Katatonia (another Swedish melody factory) excels in. Didn’t know there were any Gothenburg bands that didn’t traffic in Maiden guitar melodies and cookie monster vox.

In Search of Truth a concept album that’s basically Operation: Mindcrime if it were an X-Files episode and yes it is as good at the latter which for the record is the greatest concept album of all time regardless of genre only NIN’s Downward Spiral and Shadow Gallery’s Tyranny come close.

And since I was well into my 30s when I found them and already mentioned them Shadow Gallery. Malmsteen level lead work and concept albums that make Megadeth’s Dystopia seem noncontroversial by comparison. Tranny is a masterpiece. An album that get scarily more relevant as time passes.

I’ll add Fates Warning as well.

No Exit, Perfect Symmetry, Parallels what a three album run

You know I haven’t really heard a track past “lonely in the night” on Venus Isle. I just end up repeating it and can listen to if for days like a broken record!

I just remembered your post and am listening to it now! Thanks for your reply.

2 Likes