My first Ibanez?

Stainless frets are still not really a “mainstream” spec on high end guitars, though they’re becoming somewhat more common so maybe in another decade’s time that will change. Ditto with locking tuners on a guitar with a locking nut. I happen to be in your camp, i like them for string changes, but it’s something i almost never see spec’d out. Either way, that’s an $80-100 fix if it’s important to you.

1 Like

I look forward to when they are normal, as in almost all my guitars fret wear is an issue. And often it’s easier to either buy a new guitar or scallop the wood. I’d love a guitar that I could be confidant I could play it for a decade with little wear. I don’t think I’ve ever played a steel fret. They have been to expensive in past…

1 Like

It is interesting that there are some less expensive variations that in many ways are more “modern,” like this one, RGT1270PB, where it is neck-through-body with stainless frets and illuminated side-dots! But they still haven’t opted for the locking tuning machines. I’m slowly starting to grasp Ibanez, but it will take a while.

If you really have to have locking tuners for the ease of stringing just buy them after market and put them in. Most of the ibanez hardware on Japanese models is made by Gotoh, so it’s not difficult to find. It will run an extra $40-70 for them. Honestly I don’t think it saves all that much time, as looping strings around a tuning post (if you even choose to do so with a locking nut) is the least labor intensive part of stringing a floating floyd style bridge. Of course the locking aspect of the tuner itself is nulled out by the fact you have a locking nut.

1 Like

Really? Out of curiosity, are you using stainless strings, or nickel-steel?

I only ask because I’ve owned a number of guitars for VERY long times, and only two of them have ever been refret - a 1997 Strat, bought new, and refret maybe 20 years later, and a 1991 Universe, bought used in… 2001? and refret maybe 2015. In both cases, the guitars probably could have just been re-crowned, but I wanted heavier fretwire anyway.

I played the hell out of these guitars, and that Strat’s frets held up nearly 20 years of essentially daily play before it kinda needed a refret. It’s surprising to me that you’re wearing through frets in only a couple years.

I don’t know if I’d call the neck-thru construction here more “modern” than a bolt on - Ibanez has from their 80s shred renaissance onwards been squarely in the bolt-on camp, and their “All Access Neck Joint” has now that it’s out of patent become the template for bolt on with neck-thru like access designs from other companies (Suhr does something similar these days on their Modern line). It was definitely a design choice, and a maple bolt on neck on a (usually) basswood body is a big part of the Ibanez “sound.”

I think it’s probably easier to understand their line coming at it from that standpoint. In 1987, if you wanted a modern bolt-on superstrat, Ibanez was short list, and if you wanted a modern neck thru superstrat, Jackson was where you’d look instead.

1 Like

I’m not sure what string type, I buy all my guitars second hand so I can absorb the soul of whoever played it last, at least thats the theory…

Honestly tho most my guitars do have prior fretwear and I think perhaps because I don’t keep the strings n frets clean, it may add to the grip of the string and add more friction… idk. They could all do with some maintenance, but I got very tired of keeping them clean, I shouldn’t of bought so many, I have about 15 guitars and the deals you can find on some guitars are hard to resist. I’ve not bought a guitar in about 5 years.

I’ve played others guitars before and if they are they type to keep it well maintained you can really feel the difference, bending is to easy, the whole fretboard is almost too wobbly, perhaps if I kept newish strings and did a good clean everynow and then the frets would hold up better?

That’s weird - its REALLY hard to wear through frets though. Do you have a preferred brand of string, and a preferred, for lack of better word, “model”?

The strings I am using are boomers for the steinberger. I think because all my guitars have some fretware before me playing them is just increasing the groves by nature, easier to dig a hole thats already been dug.

I’ve never played a guitar with even frets regularly, so It may just be my experience in second hand guitars.

I agree, but this quote supposedly from EVH has concerned me: “The stainless-steel frets were a major breakthrough, because of the amount of playing and bending that I do. I have to get my guitars re-fretted every couple of months.”

I suppose the fret wear depends heavily on how much pressure one puts on the strings when they fret, and how much they bend. Teflon-coated wound strings (like Elixir) probably barely wear frets at all.

Oh yes, you are absolutely right, and that’s why I’ll get a bolt-on neck. Supposedly it will arrive in October of 2022.

1 Like

I really like the ibanez AZ line. Always wanted an MM1. The S style alway interested me too. But the AZ is what id consider due to its “normal” neck profile.

An alternative to a J Custom would be Vigier for me. I had one a long time. Should never have sold it. They have this carbon strip construction that eliminates the need for a truss. The playability is top notch, as was the tone. Excalibur was the model. They are now all SS frets, they have a zero fret that is easily replacable. Nitro finished. Basically all the check boxes you’d need in a shredder. They also do something to the FR bridge that is unique to them. Superb apper fret access. Killer tone, the one I hah sounded great, it had this nice tight reedy thing going on. They are another company that is super consistent with quality.

Just to add more options.

1 Like

The RG arrived, and it’s interesting. It doesn’t want to stay in tune just yet, but I’ll hopefully figure that out. The jack points into my leg if I sit “classical style,” but that’s easy to fix with a cord that has a 90 degree bend. The guitar feels very compact, and I like the thin neck. The “tree of life” inlay has taught me to look at the side dots more often than usual. I’m still a little freaked out by the lack of neck scallops, but I’ll get used to it. This is my first HSH guitar; so far, I like HSH. It is strange not to have EMG pickups, but given that everything goes into a wireless now, that’s fine. I have a fake amp (Axe FX 3) and have to pretend that a “drive” pedal is on to sound more like what I was used to. I can see why people like the RG, it seems like a nice overall package for metal guitars.

Thanks again to everybody for all of the advice!

For setup guides, check

www.ibanezrules.com

If you’re having trouble with tuning, it’s most likely the case that your strings aren’t sufficiently stretched.

What do you mean by this exactly? I have the fractal fm9 and am in love with it

@carranoj25 Not to put any words in @kgk 's mouth:

My guess is he’s using the drive sim as a boost?