Need serious analysis on my upward pickslanting (YouTube videos included!)

Hey, sorry for the delay on this one! I watched again your clip with the repeated “inside” change from the Pantera riff - and I’d say that you could try to make the pickstrokes a little bigger. @Troy recently posted on Instagram a great clip of Clint Strong, who is a monster cross picker. Towards the end you can se very clearly how big his pickstrokes are when he goes back and forth between two strings:

hrmmm yeah i see, it just doesn’t seem to be working though… i’ll keep experimenting and see if i have any breakthroughs

Hey @Bigsby007, by the way have you had the chance to try some single-escape licks first, as Troy suggested in a previous post? It may be a good idea to get those up to speed, since they may give you a better idea of what fast & smooth feels like. In parallel, you can still devote some time to these more complicated patterns with repeated inside changes etc., but the idea could be to do this while seeking the same feeling of smoothness that you will get from the single-escape patterns.

yeah i might have to go back to the drawing board and work on some downward escape licks. upward escape feels very smooth to me.

A post was split to a new topic: JASoye - pickstrokes don’t escape