Newbie - What is the right start?

Hi all

I’m new here, mostly playing blues and normally i don’t need really speed picking. But i think i will work on it, to get new impressions and stimulation.

But … I don’t know how to start right … I started with “Antigravity” , because of an recommendation. But is that ok ? I necessary to study the lessons ( Vocano, Cascade etc. ) in a specific order ?

Best Tom
Germany :wink:

1 Like

Hi Tom,

As you are a masters in mechanics member, I suggest that you watch all three and get an overview of the concepts and find out if any of them are close to what you are aleady doing. For example, if you find out that you are naturally a downward pickslanter, then you may get quick results from volcano and cascade. In a lot of posts in this forum, @troy has often advised to “get it any way you can”. If downward pickslanting is more natural - go with it. Troy has proven that you can adopt all these mechanics to the point that he can use them a will, but trying to take them all on may be ill advised. Previous to CTC, I worked on alternate picking a lot with limited success. With CTC, I tried to go through it in order Volcano/Cascade/antigravity, but it soon became clear that my previous work had put me closer to the 2-way pickslanting approach and I am now making that my focus. I can do some of the yngwie playing, but I’m going to leave that and cascade until I am proficient in antigravity.

I hope that helped, but maybe some other members will have different opinions to post. Good luck!

2 Likes

Thank you ! You motivated me… will search my way, based on your recommendation …Thanx.

Hi @19Primus,

The cracking the code material isn’t really a step by step course but rather provides insights and observations to a lot of the mechanics of efficient picking and string-changing (as well as some related musical topics.)

Musically, I’d be interested in what exactly you are trying to accomplish in your playing and then I and others might be able to make a recommendation as to which topics are going to be the most relevant.

1 Like

See my reply here as well:

Currently our answer is kind of a combination of the Pickslanting Primer and the live broadcast we did as an overview of different picking motions, but we’re currently also in the process of updating the Primer to better cover all the foundational concepts we think everyone should know.

So for now I’d check out both of those, the “Intro to Picking Motion” broadcast and the Pickslanting Primer, and let us know if you have any further questions!

Also a great point as Jake mentions above that you don’t have to go through in any specific order, and a lot will depend on what you’re hoping to learn / be able to play. Once you’re familiar with the basic concepts you can also try posting a clip of your playing and any questions in #technique-critique to get more specific feedback.