No escape motion?

Yes. Exactly. My point was, since you lift the pick, it’s not a ‘trapped’ picking style, at least for that specific scenario.

Swiping would only solve half of the string escape problem. It would solve situation in which you would inside pick with strict alternate picking. If you want to solve situations in which you would outside pick with alternate picking, you would sweep those.

I meant sweeping. That’s how I think of economy picking. It’s a two string sweep in the direction you’re already picking. It would replace situations in which an alternate picker would outside pick.

It’s my first week as a paid subscriber. It might take me a little while to get the nomenclature straight.

I’m experimenting with it. I’m not sure I’ll stick with it. But if it works, it eliminates the majority of changes your picking hand needs to go through in order to get over strings. There is no ‘trapped’ position with this style. You can either swipe or economy (sweep) out of any situation in which your pick tip is below the plane of the strings.

It has technical challenges to it, as well. That’s why I asked the initial question, about whether anyone else might play with this style. I want to see how they handle it.

So far, what I’ve seen is folks that use half of it – either economy picking, or swiping, but not both, systematically. I just checked out Jimmy Bruno, and found he does economy pick often, but I spotted some inside and outside picking in his style, as well.

The idea of this picking style appeals to me. But I don’t think it’s good to be an ideologue about picking. I’ll give it a shot for a bit and see if it works for me.

Tanks to everyone for contributing!

I have no proof but I think that DBX really is general, but it comes with a cost, that it is comparatively slow and error-prone, where it’s easy to make a mistake in terms of pick depth. The single-escaped techniques seem faster and more robust, but the price that one pays is having to find the appropriate escape-hatch in certain cases as not to get painted into a corner.

In short: There is no free lunch, or everybody would be eating it. :grinning:

I like your philosophy. But I don’t recall you addressing pick stiffness: Do you want some flex, or are you looking for rigidity?

Hey there! This video looks mainly downstroke escape to me!

I think you go fully trapped for the downstroke sweeps, but the main motion seems a shallow DSX.

It’s quite possible. DSX is my usual style (I think). I believe I play with a slight upward pick slant (which would make DSX likely) and I also find upward sweeps easier.

As I mentioned, this was an attempt to play fully trapped, but it’s really hard to remove those escape motions once they’re ingrained.

I do see the pick lift up above the plane of the strings n the turnaround on the E string, now that I look more carefully.

On the other hand, I’m definitely sweeping in both directions, and at least sometimes hitting the string during a swipe.

1 Like

No kidding! I’m always looking for the holy grail, but it doesn’t exist. This thread was the result of this one idea. There’s a lot of talk about escape motions. What if we eliminated them? In many ways, the picking motions could be more consistent. And no more having to start runs on an upstroke, or a downstroke.

But there are tradeoffs, for sure. It might take some time to see if it’s worth it.

You’re right, I didn’t address pick stiffness. I often play with Jazz IIIs, and I tend to like picks in that general area of stiffness. Lately, I’ve been trying out a Stealth pick from Acoustik Attack, and it’s stiffer and fatter, but has a beveled edge.

I haven’t had any luck with thinner picks, except for strumming acoustic guitars.