Okay... But what do i DO?

I understand, I think we have all bought albums by an artist and moved on to the next after listening for a week or so. I will forgive you.
If you have some time and are curious about some more Vai, then please have a listen to Die To Live, Call It Sleep, The Attitude Song, Hand On Heart and Jibboom and maybe if you want something really weird the Flex-able album is very diverse. Little Green Men has to be heard at least once just for the comedy.

1 Like

I actually only own alien love secrets. I always thought it was really impressive though. Such a wide variety of playing styles. I really should pick up some more of his albums

1 Like

Sorry, its been a crazy work week. Short staffed.

I’m very interested in reading about this concept some more. If 2 way slanting is kind of abandoned, what can I read to better understand what you refer to here?

In the picking motion section in the picking primer, there is a section about primary plus secondary motion. I wasn’t able to link it but it’s easy to find.
It will show examples of what various players do. Secondary motions needed tend to be different based on how you pick, wrist only, elbow, forearm and wrist etc
It’s very illuminating!

1 Like

I think a lot of that is here:

Rather than all the flip-flopping, you just find a subtle motion to help out with the escape that’s not your primary, when needed. Ex: you are a DSX wrist player but are doing a phrase where just a note or 2 in it would need USX. You could do a slight thumb/finger flex, or a slight supinated move with the wrist.

2 Likes

That’s the one! I failed to link :joy:

1 Like

Awesome, Thank you so much for elaborating! I’m gonna start checking this out for the night. I just posted a rudimentary video of my new picking technique, sloppy as it is lol. I’ll spend the evening checking this out while I wait to see some responses! :slight_smile: