Optimal time per day for practice

Heya, I kinda just noticed something… I was practicing a specific technique for like 1 or 2 hours a day and I would get faster but it seemed like diminishing returns after a certain point. Whereas when I dropped back to like 20 minutes every day (per lick/exercise) I made seemingly just as much progress. Which leads me to believe that once you practice a bit, your brain needs to rest and recover to get the actual gains.

So I was just wondering has anyone else noticed this? What do y’all figure is the optimal amount of time to devote to a specific lick or scale or exercise per day?

Is there any relevant research on this topic that anyone knows about?

Thanks.

2 Likes

I know that this type of learning psychology is something @Troy has put some effort into. The Noa Kageyama and Pietro Mazzoni Interviews are full of insight on the topic.

My personal anecdotal experience is that continued repetitive practice on the same idea quickly runs into diminishing returns. I try to do maybe 2-3 repetitions of the same thing max in a practice session. I’m usually not trying to conquer the difficulty in one sitting, but take a longer view of continuous improvement over time.

The key to making progress in your technique is to continuously add Variety into your approach. This forces your brain to adapt to change, and develop actual problem solving intuition, rather than pure muscle memory.

For example, if I’m working on 3-note-per-string scales with Economy picking. I might play through the scale once or twice from bottom to top. Further repetitions require some variation - flex your creativity here. You might start from the top and descend - or start from a middle string instead of the highest or lowest note - or do 4 note sequences - or skip intervals in 3rds, 4ths, 6ths - or do position shifting on every other string. While doing these sorts of ‘technical variation’ I might also be altering the mode with every pass, or doing modes in different keys. Get the idea? The Oz Noy interview has some good examples of this approach.

I don’t believe there’s really an “optimal” amount of practice per day. It depends on your level of experience, degree of focus, and available time. 2-4 hours seems like a nice sweet spot for an entire practice session (maybe with a couple breaks in between). For something specific like a technical exercise, I rarely do more than 5-10 minutes to get the needed result before moving to something else.

4 Likes

Holy shit dude, this first interview is exactly what i was looking for. Thanks man! Gonna keep watching it and check out the other one too.

Yeah, given how many factors are in play, doesn’t seem really possible to have definitive numbers, but we can look to some helpful rules of thumb e.g. mixing it up and alternating a few things in practice sessions (“random” or “interleaved” practice as Noa Kageyama talks about) — @LuckyMojo has summed this up nicely!

A while back I tried a quick list summarizing some takeaways from our interview with Noa here: Learning methods on guitar?

I think there are a number of similar-ish discussions on this topic too. A couple I found via forum search:

And yeah “consolidation” in motor skill learning is definitely a thing! One comment from Troy on that here: Crosspicking question - alternate picking

2 Likes

What I’ve found is that you need to sleep to get something new in your subconscious )
For example, I practiced Yngwie’s shifting thirds but no matter how I tried I couldn’t get above 145 bpm (triplets). Then I gave up, went to bed, woke up, went to my job, came home, grabbed my guitar and… 180bpm without warmup. Damn, brain is a megacomplex thing )

2 Likes

Noa Kageyama had a live stream that covered what you are talking about.

Noa Kageyama, molly gebrian: the science of memorization

2 Likes