Paying for downloads vs subscribing and release schedules

I meant more something like price-engines do, you just link to an existing system, and get a small percentage of the sales on the end of the month.
But if you put strings and picks directly in your shop (and ship to europe) that’d be fine too :grin:

Anyways to make things a little more complicated, it seems the main benefit to get a payed member seems to me in an educational sense. The infomational stuff (at least a lot of it) and the forum is free.
I’m glad and thankful it is that way.
If you find a way to get some products up that target the ‘plain viewer’, Here’s one who’d purchase it :wink:

1 Like

I am a paid subscriber and barely look at any of the paid content, and have no plans on canceling my membership.

The way I look at this, hear me out: I was struggling with pick technique, spending literally years banging my head against the same wall, doing all sorts of research, then I dug into CTC and it gave me insight I don’t think i ever would have come across, and now I have tools to solve tons of technical challenges that I couldn’t have solved before. I was so in the dark with picking for years and it really frustrated the hell out of me…now, for the most part, most things make sense.

Additionally, I teach for a living and CTC has helped a lot with any pick-related stuff I teach. So, in a not-super-indirect way, I make some money off of what I learn from Troy/CTC.

If I support CTC they are going to continue doing research and making material and making these breakthroughs in the understanding of guitar technique…that’s very good for me, and great for everybody. I want to see them continue exploring and trying to make these discoveries, AND I want to support all that they have provided so far.

I’m somebody who does music for a living, and understanding technique is really important to me, so I can understand if guitar is more of a casual interest then even with all of the above you might assess whether it’s really worth $20/month for you, especially if budgeting is very tight. Maybe if you’ve learned a lot from CTC, try to pick up one guitar student who is interested in learning this stuff from you, then you’ll be able to pay for your membership and also likely make a good profit :joy:

Edit to add: I can’t really comment on the value of the paid content vs the free as honestly I’m just not looking at things and checking out and assessing that much, schedule is crazy and I limit myself in what ‘extras’ I participate in, and generally only get like 10 minute here and there to actually practice. It’s totally possible that there could be a more attractive balance to the would-be-paying customer. I signed up initially because I wanted to dig into all the more nitty gritty details of two way pick slanting that is covered in the paid content.

2 Likes

I would definitely be into some CTC swag. T shirts, etc.

1 Like

Picks for me please!!

1 Like

There are a lot of details that are left out in the youtube videos. The subscription is well worth it, though.

1 Like

Tshirts are actually in the shop, thinking of ordering one too.

Are the Soundslice tabs in the individual download?
What is in the individual download? Is it the interview only?
Is the play along soundslice notation on ALL of the interviews watched with MIM membership?

:bear:

Soundslice is online-only — it’s built with a pretty cutting-edge web technology stack and all the nice interactive features aren’t available in any download format. But yes we have Soundslice notation on our site for all musical examples in our interviews and instructional material!

All our download products contain video files (interview and/or lesson chapters, analysis, etc.), and .zip files for the musical examples containing video clips (with slow-mo Magnet footage) + tablature in PDF and Guitar Pro formats.

So the material is basically the same with online vs. download versions, with the exception of certain web-only features like Soundslice. Another web-only thing is our video timelines where we list timestamped musical examples below each video to make it easy to go between the musical clips and the interviews/lessons they come from. Nothing missing from the downloads, content-wise, but there are definitely some cool things we can only do w/ the custom web platform.

1 Like