Picking feedback

Hey!

Just gone through all the material for the third time and I’m really trying to crack down and work on picking as it’s definitely been my weak point for many years. I’ve included a couple of clips of myself tremolo picking so any tips, tricks or feedback would be appreciated. Only just got started with the poptarts lick, so don’t have much speed with that. I believe I’m downward pick slanting with wrist movement. Anyway here’s the clips:

All feedback is appreciated!

I’d say it’s DSX, wrist motion with a touch of elbow. It’s hard to tell though, there isn’t enough light on your hand! The lighting is a lot better in the second video, but the angle makes impossible to see what kind of escape you have.

It is also helpful if you include more non-slow-motion footage, it’s easier to check for smoothness that way. I think I hear some roughness in the attack which could be due to the pick angle not giving you a similar attack on up vs downstrokes. Does it feel smooth to you?

1 Like

Thanks for the reply. I’ll get a better video tomorrow with improved lighting on the hands. There are definitely times when the picking doesn’t feel smooth and feels like the pick is grabbing.

1 Like
  1. Do you feel like the pick is grabbing in general, or do you feel it only in certain situations (upstroke only, wound strings only, etc)

2. What picks are you currently using? Are they brand new (no playing wear yet)?

It doesn’t feel like its grabbing all the time, just occasionally, I’d say usually on a downstroke.
I’m using a brand new John Petrucci Jazz III, so I don’t think its the pick. I’ve uploaded another video with better lighting for your viewing pleasure. Thanks again for the help.

If you’re able to, could you take some pictures of you holding the pick from the side (your perspective while playing)?

Thank you all for your patience. I was able to shoot a few photos. It was quite the balancing act holding the phone and the guitar. hopefully these are of some use.

1 Like

Any chance you could also do some “from the front” shots down the thumb? Example for you:

Here you go. Thanks again.

1 Like

Here’s a couple cues that help me, maybe if you experiment with them they’ll give you a smoother feel (less catching).

1. My pick tends to naturally point forward a small amount. There was a thread a month or so back where the OP noticed the same thing in his picking. Photo:

If I try to make the pick point perfectly perpendicular to my thumb, I immediately notice it catching more. It looks like yours might be pretty close to perpendicular.

1. Might be more subtle, but experiment with the angle of your thumb against the side of your index finger / pick. Here’s a video illustrating it (very exaggerated):

If you notice from the “front” pictures, my thumb is inclined slightly towards my knuckles, whereas yours looks pretty perpendicular to your index finger.

Might not be the silver bullet you’re looking for, but hopefully it adds some experimentation to your grip and you find something that works!

Thanks for the tips! Definitely going to give changing the pick angle and thumb position a shot.

DSX wrist with a little elbow is what I see. It’s fast enough! Start hitting single string lines and see where your hand sync is.

FWIW my motion changed overtime…don’t be suprised if yours does too.

Thanks for all the help everyone! Is it worth using a metronome for the single string lines? or just go for it?

Use the metronome for a few bars to benchmark, then turn it off and go by feel. Check in again when you think you need to.

1 Like