Picking me softly

I agree that putting a lot of force into a motion, especially if you’re still in the stage of trying to figure out how to actually do it correctly, can often distort the form and also recruit unnecessary muscles, making it harder to know by feel if you’re really doing it right.

The only thing I’d caution is that, at the other end of the spectrum, trying pick super softly can also make it harder to tell if a motion is stringhopping because you no longer feel the tension build up. This can trick you into thinking you’re doing it right when a video clip might clearly show otherwise. We’ve seen many examples of this in Technique Critique here on the forum.

As usual, the test is going fast. Soft picking is ok if you can still do it fast with no bounce or fatigue. If the motion looks bouncy, or you hit a speed limit, or you feel fatigue, then the soft picking wasn’t really encouraging you to make a better motion. It was just disguising the incorrect one.

I don’t know but it may be a moot point for something like stringhopping. If you have a stringhopping problem, the most direct route is to deliberately try to go fast while trying out different joint motions, until you find one that you can do. Most people already have some hand or arm motion they can do that’s fast and efficient. They just have to try them all, hopefully with some decent instructions to get them in the ballpark.

Yeah I don’t love this. Let’s leave the bro talk off the forum if we can. Thanks.

3 Likes

Just a simple way to convey a concept, I don’t mean to be sexist. Apologies.

With picking softly I think its best used as a practice tool rather than doing it live, as you say in practice it can train the correct motions. And when you choose to use more normal playing force the hand will be supported and guided better.

Andy Wood mentioned in a recent youtube video that picking with varying levels of force helps you gain control of the muscles involved in picking (of course that’s dependent on you using a suitable motion to begin with).

2 Likes

My old jazz guitar teacher John E Lawrence taught an exercise using this idea in his class. You can apply this idea to any exercise, but this is how we did it. Take a scale, in this case C in the 7th position, and play the scale to a metronome. It’s imperative that you stay locked into the tempo. Once you find a comfortable tempo, you’re going to start by picking hard/loud and gradually soften up until you are almost silent by the time you get to the high E string. Then do the same in reverse; start quiet and gradually get louder as you descend the scale… make sure you stay locked in with the metronome! This is MUCH more difficult than it seems but can unlock all kinds of inflection and subtleties in your playing. Enjoy!

1 Like