Picks and Abrasion

Hi Troy, long time no contact :slight_smile:
While enjoying the video series on all things picks I couldnā€™t help but notice that you are mentioning a couple of times that you are not sure about the exact physics and science behind some of the tonal effects. If you are interested in digging a bit deeper on that aspect I can very much recommend a guy named Manfred Zollner. He is one crazy german professor who spent most of his spare time the last 15-some years in the lab figuring out what exactly the physics behind electric guitars (and strings, pickups, amps, speakers, mics, ā€¦) are . His results are captured in a series of books. ā€œPhysik der Elektogitarreā€ consisting of 3 volumes that add up to thousands of pages of deep scientific stuff on these topics. Awesome! At this time I believe the books are still not translated to English, which is a shame, but he is also running the Gitec Forum website (https://gitec-forum.de/wp/en/) that offers translations for some articles and chapters. Anyways, I know this guy and Iā€™m sure heā€™ll be glad to provide his scientific insight on any questions you might have.
Cheers,
Holger

3 Likes

I think a download of the version of the Buck Rogers theme song is called for. Troyā€™s arragement (especially the guitar tones) is AWESOME!!!

2 Likes

Hereā€™s a Soundcloud link. Full mix, backing, and lead/strings/synth. I donā€™t think we have built any song download capability for the actual platform, ironically enough. Weā€™ll put that on the to-do list.

Edit: Threw in some Marty Friedman / Li-Sa-X Speed Racer. Always liked that one.

3 Likes

These are frigginā€™ AWESOME!!! Iā€™m loving every lesson here on CTC, but at some point, Troy, please share your music production and engineering process for getting your guitar tones and stuff!!

1 Like

We do have a couple things along these lines, behind the scenes from a while back about the production of some Cracking the Code original soundtrackā€¦I think youā€™ll enjoy if you havenā€™t seen these yet!

Duh. Forgot about those!