Pop songs with technical guitar playing?

Do you know if Nuno Bettencourt is still part of her band?

I mean, in Kurt’s case, it was a combination of depression, an introvert suddenly being thrust under the spotlight, an optiate addiction stemming from a medical problem that he eventually decided to stop fighting, and I don’t know if you’ve ever spent any time in the rural Pacific Northwest, but he didn’t exactly have an idylic childhood that left him wanting to sing about girls and hotrods.

For me, music is supposed to express a range of emotions. I think the late 80s started to choke a bit on the excesses of the 80s hair metal party music thing, so when grunge broke, angry and depressed and sad music was hitting emotional places that popular music had been missing for most of the prior decade. Of course, THAT started to choke on its own excesses too, over time, with a whole bunch of “waah, daddy doesn’t love me, my life is so hard” stuff that in particular a lot of the worser nu metal bands were doing… Idunno. Cyclical change in popular music tastes is probably a good thing, and considering how much darker the 90s were than the 80s, a spate of suicides probably isn’t that surprising.

I’m just grateful we got some of the music we did.

To the best of my knowledge he is not. Of course, even if he’s not currently in, we have no way of knowing if that could change in the future. He speaks very positively about the experience in the interview I posted previously, but you’d expect that of any pro. Sounds like the only misgiving he had was about the level of time commitment.

1 Like

If you’re referring strictly to glam metal, that’s correct. So many glam bands made so much money for record companies that it started getting to the point that if you were glam band with a good look, you’d get a record deal. The record companies stopped being vigilant about signing bands with actual talent and that led to an excess of bands who never deserved a record deal, getting a record deal. That situation was absolutely excessive.

If you want to talk about late 80s music covering not covering a wide range of emotions, there are plenty of great albums i could point out that would dispel the notion that 80s music didn’t cover a wide range of emotions and didn’t have lyrics about anything about partying. To keep this post to a reasonable size, I’ll use the example of what many people consider to be Queensryche’s masterpiece: Operation Mindcrime. There was not a “party song” to be found on it. It covered a wider range of situations and emotions and it told a good story. There certainly plenty of songs that were sad or even depressing on the Mindcrime album. If wanted anger, the type of heavy rock music that has had the most longevity is what Metallica plays and if anything, their music was angrier in the 80s than in the 90s, so I’m not sold on the 90s being a “darker” time, musically speaking, than the 90s were. “One” had about as dark a subject matter as could be imagined. If you’re saying the 90s were darker overall, as far as the economy of the nation for example, I’d agree wholeheartedly with you.

One of the great things about the 80s metal scene, which led to the incredible business the industry did during that period is that the customers had a choice. If you wanted heavy guitar music that was still party music, you could find it. If you wanted metal that covered more serious issues, and emotions, you could find it. By the 90s heavy guitar music had become much more narrow in scope. By 1994 if you want to find some party music that still had good heavy guitar riffs and guitar solos, you couldn’t find it anymore! It ceased to exist. Not surprisingly. before long, many legendary nightclubs which had done great business for decades also ceased to exist because whether some people like it or not, the typical person goes out to hear music that makes them feel good - not sad or angry.

1 Like

Eh, a lot of that smacks as “MY generation’s music is better than yours,” and I can’t fully agree with you. Music evolves over time, and while we all tend to focus on the stuff we really liked in a particular era, there’s a LOT of self selection going on there. For example, you talk about 1994: here’s the Billboard #1 singles that year:

ISSUE DATE TITLE ARTIST
January 8 Hero Mariah Carey
January 15
January 22 All For Love Bryan Adams/Rod Stewart/Sting
January 29
February 5
February 12 The Power Of Love Celine Dion
February 19
February 26
March 5
March 12 The Sign Ace Of Base
March 19
March 26
April 2
April 9 Bump N’ Grind R. Kelly
April 16
April 23
April 30
May 7 The Sign Ace Of Base
May 14
May 21 I Swear All-4-One
May 28
June 4
June 11
June 18
June 25
July 2
July 9
July 16
July 23
July 30
August 6 Stay (I Missed You) Lisa Loeb & Nine Stories
August 13
August 20
August 27 I’ll Make Love To You Boyz II Men
September 3
September 10
September 17
September 24
October 1
October 8
October 15
October 22
October 29
November 5
November 12
November 19
November 26
December 3 On Bended Knee Boyz II Men
December 10
December 17 Here Comes The Hotstepper (From “Ready To Wear”) Ini Kamoze

https://www.billboard.com/archive/charts/1994/hot-100

…and to choose a mid-80s year at random, here’s 1987:

ISSUE DATE TITLE ARTIST
January 3 Walk Like An Egyptian The Bangles
January 10
January 17 Shake You Down Gregory Abbott
January 24 At This Moment Billy Vera & The Beaters
January 31
February 7 Open Your Heart Madonna
February 14 Livin’ On A Prayer Bon Jovi
February 21
February 28
March 7
March 14 Jacob’s Ladder Huey Lewis & The News
March 21 Lean On Me Club Nouveau
March 28
April 4 Nothing’s Gonna Stop Us Now Starship
April 11
April 18 I Knew You Were Waiting (For Me) Aretha Franklin & George Michael
April 25
May 2 (I Just) Died In Your Arms Cutting Crew
May 9
May 16 With or Without You U2
May 23
May 30
June 6 You Keep Me Hangin’ On Kim Wilde
June 13 Always Atlantic Starr
June 20 Head To Toe Lisa Lisa And Cult Jam
June 27 I Wanna Dance With Somebody (Who Loves Me) Whitney Houston
July 4
July 11 Alone Heart
July 18
July 25
August 1 Shakedown (From “Beverly Hills Cop II”) Bob Seger
August 8 I Still Haven’t Found What I’m Looking For U2
August 15
August 22 Who’s That Girl Madonna
August 29 La Bamba Los Lobos
September 5
September 12
September 19 I Just Can’t Stop Loving You Michael Jackson With Siedah Garrett
September 26 Didn’t We Almost Have It All Whitney Houston
October 3
October 10 Here I Go Again Whitesnake
October 17 Lost In Emotion Lisa Lisa And Cult Jam
October 24 Bad Michael Jackson
October 31
November 7 I Think We’re Alone Now Tiffany
November 14
November 21 Mony Mony Billy Idol
November 28 (I’ve Had) The Time Of My Life Bill Medley & Jennifer Warnes
December 5 Heaven Is A Place On Earth Belinda Carlisle
December 12 Faith George Michael

https://www.billboard.com/archive/charts/1987/hot-100

You get Whitesnake and Bon Jovi doing anthemic pop-rock songs that today sound kind of like parodies of the genre, but for the most part, nary a guitar to be heard.

I’d say feel-good party music with guitars, a lot of punk and third wave ska comes to mind (“Turn the Radio Off” era Reel Big Fish even had surprisingly decent guitar solos). As far as rock, I wasn’t really listening to the “feel good party music” stuff, but I’m sure if I wanted to it was out there somewhere, and frankly, after a lot of the hair metal of the late 80s and early 90s, I think that was probably played out and people were looking for something else. But, if the night clubbs were going out of business in the 90s, it’s not because they went from playing “Faith” to playing “The Sign.”

Music just evolves over time. That’s not always a bad thing. More to the point, I suspect we can both agree that we just never really cared for whatever was topping the charts in EITHER decade. :rofl:

That’s not how I meant it. I meant it as: "The hard rock and heavy metal music of the 80s and very early 90s was more my style, more to my liking, than the music of the rest of the 90s. What music one enjoys is a subjective thing so naturally I couldn’t expect everybody to think the exact same way about what era’s music was most enjoyable.

The only thing that comes to mind that I can say on an objective basis regarding this discussion is that I saw many great, even legendary rock 'n roll nightclubs (which emphasized loud, guitar driven heavy rock) that did great business in the 700s and/or 80s and early 90s see their business drop dramatically as the grunge fad kicked in. I was working at one such club during the 90s and one night, early in my tenure there, I was speaking to one of the bouncers who had been there for many, many years tell me that in the 80s, on a good night the place was so packed that a customer might have to wait fifteen minutes just to get a beer! By the time I was there (mid 90s) the place was never that full, and was usually so empty that there was no wait at all to get a beer. The grunge bands just weren’t drawing the big crowds that the 80s metal crowds had drawn. For a short time grunge was very hot and the crowds were reasonably big (although never as big as during our peak years), but that hot period was short lived. Overall grunge proved to not have the longevity that 80s style hard rock and heavy metal, in general, had. The decline in business from the 80s and early 90s to the later 90s was a fact in our nightclub and we were far from an anomaly in the business. As a matter of fact, we didn’t shut our doors until 1998 and I saw clubs such as the legendary Rock-It Club close their doors roughly four years earlier than we did, despite the fact that in the 80s and very early 90s, they did an amount of business that we could only dream of even during our best years.

Hasn’t this been true of most styles that record companies realized they could make a buck off of? Grunge, British invasion, nu metal, pop-punk etc. Glam is one of the few which still has a bad name years later though.

@Drew I can’t help but laugh when people rail on about 2010s pop music. They forget about all the crappy boy bands in the mid to late 90s. I’d argue the 80s was the last decade of good pop music before the record companies really figured out how to turn it all into a banal product.

Though, as I understand this was right around the time that country got really hot - I have a couple metalhead buddies a bit older than me, and one in particular started to gig in a country band during this time because he could still play solos, the clubs were always packed, and all the hot girls were going to country shows and not rock shows. Basically, 80s metal was just out of favor, and while rock was still drawing OK, I think country was really where all the live action was.

I’m not an authority n all of those styles, but I’d tend to think you’re correct based upon what I do know. The general rule was once a band in a certain new style of rock made it big, the record companies would go crazy trying to sign as many clones of that bad as possible! The original was always the best though. You’re not going to do AC/DC better than AC/DC, for example. In glam metal, Motley Crue were still the kings of that style right up through their final tour which did phenomenal business. If you’re taking about party style hard rock with flashy guitar, who did it better than Van Halen? Roughy 50 years after they formed, no dorm metal band has outdone Black Sabbath - they were the pioneers of doom metal and they’re still the most respected and most influential band in the genre. That style I do know a lot about because Maryland and the Washington DC area, for some reason, became the doom metal capital of the country and maybe the world.

Glam does still have a bad reputation and although i know how it go that reputation - from all the bands that were subsequently signed when glam proved to be a hot commodity for record companies despite so many of them not being deserving of a record contract which in turn watered down the talent level of the entire genre - I don’t know why that reputation persists. There is good grunge and bad grunge, good British Invasion and bad British Invasion, good thrash metal and bad thrash metal.

The record companies made a huge mistake with how they marked grunge, however. They made monumentally large mistake in marketing in such a way that the kids felt they either had to like grunge OR heavy metal. They didn’t want the kids to like both. They made it seem as you were either in style and listening to grunge while disavowing the heavy metal you’d always loved, or you continued liking heavy metal and were no longer “cool” as a result. The had such far reaching negative effects that it almost destroyed most bands that played virtuosic guitar solos. The agenda pushed the nation that solos were somehow passe and even self indulgent, never mind that solos had been a staple of popular music since the invention of jazz and possibly earlier! Were all of those musicians who had been playing solos in jazz, rock, ad other music for over 50 years just arrogant, self-indulgent jerks who didn’t know how to play what was best for the song? I don’t think so!

Yes, I remember hearing about that. I’m sure that was a big contributing factor as well. Where the hot, young girls are is where the young guys will be, so it only stands to reason that this hurt the rock industry badly.

My buddy says it was the best 5-7 years of his life, lol. I grew up in part on old school outlaw country - Waylon Jennings, Johnny Cash, Merle Haggard, etc - and do love alt-country stuff like Ryan Adams and Justin Townes Earl, but I was incredibly dismissive of modern top-40 country as just being pop music with pedal steel sung by either the chick with a Nashville accent, the dude with a high voice with a Nashville accent, or the dude with a baritone with a Nashville accent, but I was clearly just being closed minded. :rofl: That was before I really got the shred bug, anyway, and I was mostly playing SRV and Jimi type stuff.