Problem Shifting Gears

I can’t believe you went through so much effort to help me!
You are Amazing :grinning:
Do you have a patreon page so I can buy you a cup of coffee or something?
Thanks,
Jen

I really don’t mind at all helping others out for the sake of it, and I figured that’s what this place was for anyway. Through my years and years of playing, I have had the same struggles as everyone at one time or another (and still do) and I’m more than happy to pass down whatever Knowledge I gained along the way. Plus it gives me the excuse to play the guitar more, which adult life always tends to get in the way of.

1 Like

Well I will pass it on :+1:
Would you suggest experimenting to see if can I find that smooth transition from the 2 picking styles or just start with my fast picking style “elbow motion” and see if I can slow it down and work on more complex rhythms?

Try both! See what works and doesn’t for you.

Hello, @motochick ! Here are a couple of videos I made a little while back talking about switching speeds and weaving between more wrist oriented mechanics for medium speeds and elbow for faster speeds. I thought they might help. The interview I did with Troy here on the site also really goes into depth on exactly how I am doing it also and we cover this pretty extensively in the interview with some great camera angles and Troy’s great insite. I hope it helps and good luck with your playing! :slightly_smiling_face:

Shred Guitar In The 80s: Picking While Switching Speeds...Plus: Hit Parader Mag, Loudness and More! - YouTube.

Here is the other video…
Alternate Picking Technique And The Art Of Soloing At Any Tempo: The Mechanics Of Playing All Speeds - YouTube.

Edit: In the videos I mention that I might be using a rotational motion for medium speeds but after the interview with Troy I think it might be more of a wrist motion that I use and wasn’t aware of it until I saw the interview and the magnet video views.

3 Likes

I haven’t even clicked either of these and know I’m going to love these both :slight_smile: Thanks for sharing, Bill! I always enjoy your playing!

1 Like

Thank you so much, @joebegly! I appreciate that! :slightly_smiling_face: I think the interview i did with Troy really covers it in depth but these two videos are a decent overview. Thanks again!

2 Likes

:exploding_head: (head exploding) I can’t believe I haven’t tried this stuff years ago.

Your playing is inspring Bill Hall :wink:

1 Like

Do you use fingers 134 on these or 123? Just curious cause I gravitate towards 123 because my pinky is not strong.

I would use whatever you can for now, if it’s 1,2,3, and that works for you then use 1,2,3. Eventually you will want to get that pinky up to snuff, because it’s going to make your life so much easier in the long run, (working on some left hand only legato is perfect for that) but for now use what you can. The real purpose is to just be able to synchronize and seamlessly jump between speeds.

Personally my pinky is usually always in play though.

1 Like

Thanks again Fossegrim! Your examples have been so helpful :grinning:

R/L Hand Sync is a big problem for me! I’ve been practicing until my wrist started to act up, so I’m taking a break.

It’s a humbling experience after all my years of playing that it is so difficult to sync them up. I guess bad habits are hard to break.

Observations on my CtC journey! It has really helped me pay attention to all the available motions and picks available but made realize there is no 1 path, I need to incorporate these ideas into my own playing. However Right/Left Hand Sync is my biggest problem and it’s not easy to cure :weary:

@motochick I think that’s a common problem with all of us, and just one of those things you have to devote some time to as boring as it often is, and there unfortunately really is no short cut besides just doing it, or incorporate it into things you already enjoy doing.

I didn’t really develop it until I forced myself to do exactly what you have started to do. It’s a slow process, and believe me a frustrating one at times with peaks, plateaus, and often dips, but eventually it all comes together.