PSA: amp-in-a box to amp sim FTW!

Thanks! I haven’t spent time with the Wayfarer this time around, used to play it years ago, I wonder if they’ve been updating their core amp sims clandestinely. Your clip sounds really good.

That fender amp does sound killer, really inspiring. S-gear is def worth it, it’s been a slow burn development but it was great out of the door too. The initial pick attack’s transient stays intact and natural, best software amp for that for me, just a personal preference. I’ve got to say the plex controls work closest to the real amp of the sims I’ve tried.

edit:
been fiddling with s-gear, the delays in studio one… such a fun riff.

1 Like

How are you guys running your s-gear setups, did you guys try to run a pedal into your interface?

I plug straight into my interface.

1 Like

Been experimenting today.

With Revival Drive Hot Rod edition

With S-Gear Drive Thru

I think the pedal has less mud and a bit of articulation.
What’s surprising is they’re very close, that’s quite an expensive pedal!

S-gear is amazing; of course subconsciously I want my phenomenally expensive pedal collection to beat it but so far no dice. Tried disabling the amp and it does sound good with the Angry Charlie and BE-OD but so far my go-to is the Wayfarer w. Drive-Thru.

I used to get a great sound using a Vox simulator (which sounded pretty bad on its own) through a Mesa power amp, it’d be nice to just disable the preamp on the S-gear amps. On the other hand I know Mike Scuffham runs real amps into the software all the time for research, it’s probably a waste of time expecting a pedal to work better.

Also I have lousy power at my place, using a physical pedal introduces 60 cycle hum. Maybe time to just play my guitar, lol.

S-Gear gave my kemper a run for the money!

For the noise, try hum cancelling single coils and or an NS2 type pedal maybe. The noise gate in S-Gear is pretty good too.

1 Like

Also @Twangsta I could be wrong, but im pretty sure if you bought that new ToneX pedal, there would be a way to make profiles of your favorite S-Gear presets and then use them for live gigs!

My guitar with single coils (sort of) is my PRS McCarty - coil tap option. I do notice stuff getting a little noisy in s-gear when I run it like that. I haven’t messed with their noise gate much, maybe I’ll take a look.

Sounds like a pretty (still) low cost way to get some good tones in a live setting! I know I’ve told you this before, but since I’m retired from playing live, I like the (even) cheaper option lol and just going s-gear all the way.

1 Like

Insert Sopranos quote here “Just when i thought I was out, they pulled me back in!”

2 Likes

The noise gate is quite something; on other sims I’ve tried the entire signal will flutter in and out as notes decay but in S-gear it fades smoothly. If there’s reverb you don’t even notice it’s on, pretty impressive.

1 Like

Nice I will check it out. I don’t recall ever even using a noise suppressor so I’ll read the manual. Here to save anyone some clicks
https://www.scuffhamamps.com/support/user-manual

and also…drumroll…I see they just released 3.1 and it’s got a compressor pedal. Upgrade is free for any licensed users with version 2.9 or above. Time to upgrade and fire up the compressor pedal and dust off some Brad Paisley licks…

1 Like

I think most presets have the noise gate activated by default, it’s so smooth you may not even notice it. Can be activated at the bottom of the rack; this is where you can bypass the effects and amp so if you wish to try an amp-in-the box try disabling the amp or go into the Duke with drive off which works pretty well. I prefer the S-gear alone but your mileage may vary.

2 Likes

Cool, and yep I’ve seen the noise gate in that area, just unclear what’s recommended regarding the level and threshold.

I just messed briefly with the compression pedal. Seems pretty intuitive and full featured like real compressor pedal and there are lots of presets. None sounded like Brad Paisley’s signature gritty ‘spank’ tone, but I’ll keep playing around until I get something that satisfies.

I know you’re a big BP fan, @Twangsta and since you’ve got the most experience with s-gear among us, what amp do you recommend as a starting point for (any of) his tone(s)? And yes, he has several cool tones :slight_smile: A lot of people I dig have just one or 2 tones that I like but he has at least 4 I think. An over driven rock/solo tone that I think just might be my favorite tone ever, a clean solo tone, a nice muffled dirty delayed one, a more gritty all purpose rhythm tone, and then the more traditional pristine clean rhythm country tone. Then of course there’s his acoustic stuff…He’s just amazing. I don’t even really like country music but he’s probably my favorite guitar player.

Sorry for the Paisley rant :slight_smile:

3 Likes

he also uses a Nobels overdrive pedal which from what I understand is a different voicing than typical overdrives

2 Likes

I’m a big fan of S-Gear too, excellent software.

I have two Cornford amplifiers, a cabinet full of effects pedals and a fancy pedal board with a fancy true bypass switcher.

I pretty much always plug direct into my Scarlett interface, load up S-Gear and play through my monitors or headphones. It sounds amazing and is so much more convenient.

3 Likes

I could give 'em a home, if they are neglected! :wink:

Out of interest, what models? I lusted after mk50 mkii for the longest time as a younger chap, by the time I could afford it, cornford was no more :sleepy:

2 Likes

I have Hellcat head and 2x12, and a Carrera.

1 Like

Awesome! The Hellcat is a great amp too, hard for me to articulate it, but to me it always had a ‘cleaness’ to it even when it had gobs of gain on it - like you could hear the wood of your guitar through it… hits you right between the eyes but not offensive… unique in my opinion

1 Like

I know exactly what you mean. The Cornfords are incredible amplifiers, I have no plans to part with them.

2 Likes

He’s easily one of my top favorites. Amp wise he’s all over the place but I think he’s partial to amps with a voxy chime, he’s got a zillion amps but I think the Dr.Z Wreck would be the one to get, personally it’s the EMS for me, plexi flavours with a good dose Dr.Z magic. I’d love a straight old Twin too, damn those amps sound sweet.

Not sure is s-gear has a chimey amp, probably does, I should try it, excited to give the compressor a whir. I wish I still had a telecaster at hand. A fender Brent Mason signature with it’s G/B bender is a killer guitar, could possibly the only guitar one needs, really love some of their signature models. :slight_smile:

great channel btw, notice the aggressive string tree placement.

My fav BP tone is probably on Departure from his album Play, clean and the high gain, there’s a lick on there that always give me goosebumps.

1 Like