Putting lines together - three notes per string

Hi! Just my thoughts to this, something that helped me…
If you use strict alternate picking in this, the problem is probably the downstroke on the b string. Try to accent the downstroke on the b string and use downward pickslanting, i.e. bend your thumb on the accent, when you play 3nps patterns you should use two way pickslanting, because the first string change is an upstroke, so you need upward pickslanting there, and downward pickslanting when moving to b string. I play most of the time with upward pickslanting like Paul Gilbert and i use upstrokes mostly on string changes, that works faster for me.
But when i need to change the strokes on string change, i accent them in sextuplet lines to get them in my brain, also hand position is worth keeping in mind when you move revelevantly fast down the fretboard.

Thanks for your thoughts.
I know this problem, but it seems that it is not a big problem for me, don’t know why, maybe I am doing something wrong?
I can play the 3nps pattern ( at the moment only the chromatic way, see tabs above ) in 160 bpm sextuplets… but I think I should post a video to show my picking and to see what the virtuous players say to this technical thing?

Hello,
for my “Putting lines together - 3NpS” Question here is the video.
Maybe you can give me some suggestion or make some criticism.
Would be very nice, but keep in mind that I´am a beginner in trying to pick fast …
Here is the link to the video on youtube:

It’s definitely a brain wiring/fingers confused thing. You’ve got the picking pattern down, the only difference between the two parts is left hand fingering. Try this - play the first part once, pause for 5 seconds, then play the second. Hopefully that gives your brain enough time to reset. Then each time make the pause shorter until they’re back to back.

Thanks for posting the video! I just merged that post (and the one reply from Ian) into this existing discussion FYI — since it’s an update to the same topic I think makes sense to keep it all in one place.

Thank you Brendan, very friendly :+1:

Thank you very much Ian, so I will try it :ok_hand:

From watching your video I must say that you got the picking down perfectly! Sounds great and very consistent! But I can hear that your left hand is not syncing up. On the G and E string the fingers rush a little bit so that the middle note is missed. So you get kind of a double note thing in there.

And from this thread it seems like the picking is NOT what you need help with. It’s the left hand that needs attention. I’m not sure if the same rules of practise apply for left hand problems as right hand problems. Generally for me the left hand doesn’t have the risk of doing “wrong” movements like the right hand can with string hopping. So for me left hand problems have been solved through really carefully doing the movements slow and exaggerated. I’m not sure Troy would agree on this method but that’s my advise anyway.

Practising this fast as in your video and not having the correct sync yet, would really only ingrain flaws in your playing that’s gonna be hard to recover from. So my suggestion is skip the chromatic thing for now and practising the diatonic scale really carefully and with exaggerated left hand movements. There is certainly a slow speed that you’ll be able to have no problems with sync and position shifting. Go from there but skip the metronome. This is you classic advise for building technique and, while it doesn’t apply for right hand practise, it does for the left hand. At least from my experience.

Yes I think you’re right, the left hand is the problem and to be more specific the third and the fourth finger in combination.
To get more strength in those fingers I make a legato exercise on the b and e string:
B: 134
E: 134
Doing it in a loop and in sextuplets.

Maybe Troy or someone else knows a better exercise ?

Do you need more strength? Flexibility and dexterity suggest refinement of mechanics. I barely need to touch the strings to fret properly. As far as legato is concerned, all-hammer-on-left-hand takes a fair amount of finesse (and a properly set up guitar), but not so much strength per se. I mention these things lest somebody induce nerve damage.

Have a go using more of a “classical” left hand position, see if that helps finger independence a bit.

1 Like