Recommendations for smartphones with good cameras for filming technique?

They usually show max specs for devices. Thus some of 240fps(960fps) phones can do 120fps, but some - can’t, or should I say they can (technically) but this functionality was removed for some reasons.
For example, afaik Samsung Galaxy Note 9 can do 960 and 240 but not 120fps(though it can do 60 and 30 fps). While Sony Xperia XZ can do 960 and 120fps, I don’t know about 240.
So it’s better to check specs before buying.

1 Like

Thank you!

One more question: Would I get more for my money to just buy a video recorder - the kind that mounts on a tripod and is made specifically for recording video with sound (like my own music video), or are the videocameras in the Galaxy or Xperias so good that there is no advantage to buying a device that does nothing but record video with sound?

Oh, and do the Galaxy, Xperia and iPhones have a tripod mount feature?

That I don’t know. I have no much experience with video equipment. My guess is that specialized thing usually better than universal one but… with all that modern technologies… who knows.

As for tripods, I don’t know about other smartphones but I’ve definitely seen tripods for IPhones and Galaxies.

1 Like

Yep. Google confirmed about tripods… hmm, some of them look very strange…

1 Like

Can’t comment on the Samsung vs Apple question, but iphones have been used to film major motion pictures, so it seems you should be able to film a decent music video with one. I imagine skill and experience play a large part in the results, though (lighting, composition, artistic vision, etc.)

1 Like

Not sure, none of us at Cracking the Code use Android phones, but the latest iPhone / Samsung / Pixel (and probably others) will all get you pretty great video quality. For more specific demos and comparisons, try some searches on Google + YouTube, probably lots more coming since the new iPhone just dropped.

Keep in mind for any pro filming situation e.g. making a music video you’ll want to record audio separately (regardless of what type of camera you’re using), but for day to day filming with the built in camera for practice sessions etc. it could be worth seeing how the various models compare on the audio front as well. For filming stuff with the Magnet we do often use the built-in iPhone audio and it works pretty well!

You can certainly get better quality with a dedicated camera for video recording, but it’ll be bigger and more expensive than a smartphone. Best bang for your buck, beyond camera phone, is probably a good DSLR in the ~$2k range. There are lots of good ones, Sony, Panasonic, Canon, Nikon, with interchangeable lenses…really almost too many options! But also tons of resources / buyers guides / reviews out there to help decide, depending on budget and feature priorities.

If you’re new to video and want something easy to get started, high end smartphone cameras now are damn good and will get you pretty far! That’s probably where I’d start, particularly if you’d use the other features of a good smartphone too. You can even get add-on lenses (e.g. Moment) for more options. Also keep in mind, as @induction mentioned, lighting / composition / audio are also very important.

Phones don’t typically have a built in tripod mount, but adapter mounts are widely available and inexpensive. Search phone tripod mount, there are all kinds of similar products, basically the phone clips in to a spring-loaded jaw mount that attaches to a standard tripod mount. Examples: Glif, Manfrotto, tons of cheap similar ones on Amazon.

1 Like

Thanks Brendan! I really appreciate all the detail you went into. I have done researching on my own but I need to do more. There is just so much new technology out there that all the acronyms for this and that get a bit overwhelming.

I can research the rest on my own but one quick thing: why would you refer to some smartphones as “android” but not others? What makes the difference between android and not android phones?

Thanks again!

EDIT: If anyone is interested, the new iPhones record on both 120 and 240 fps at 1080p. I know because I went to the Apple store today and looked at them. The iPhone 11 was around $700… iPhone 11 pro was about $1000 and mostly you just get a telephoto lens and a faster processor for the extra $300…

If you don’t use a magnet, you can likely use an iPad for your recordings, and they are generally useful for reading.

Android is a company that Google bought to copy Research in Motion (and later Apple’s iPhone).

Android is an operating system. Just like Apple computers run on MacOS and most others run on Windows, iphones run on iOS and most others (including Samsungs) run on Android.

1 Like

Thanks Induction for that and your previous help.

I think I only have one question left, since I learned some at the Apple store today.

This question is for you and anyone else who would like to answer because it’s more of an opinion type question: Do you think Apple iphone 11 or Samsung Galaxy 10 would be easier to learn how to use for someone like me, since I have never used any type of iPhone or smartphone before and I also know very little about video recording? Is one generally easier to learn to use for people who are almost technology illiterate? Is Sony Xperia any easier to learn?

If not, then is one of them not necessarily easier to learn but just better designed so its easier to use?

I have to say that while I’m typing this on a Mac, I was very unimpressed with the customer service at the Apple store. Their salespeople were not knowledgeable about the products they had, and they weren’t the least bit motivated to help… Clearly they weren’t being paid on commission… No car dealership, no Best Buy, no music store I’ve ever patronized has ever had people so unmotivated to help. Usually sales people are eager to help and will spend their time with you. These people didn’t dress professionally (not one bothered to wear so much as a button down shirt with a collar), and didn’t have name tags either. They just looked like customers and none approached me. I had to find them, which was difficult since they didn’t dress or act like they were even working. I asked for a brochure I could take home with me. They had none. They don’t even make brochures. Unreal.

You can buy Apple products from Best Buy and many other companies. One advantage of Apple products is that you can use free music-related products like Garage Band as a drum machine, etc., and there is reasonably tight integration between iOS (phones) and MacOS (computers).

iOS vs. Android is in the eye of the beholder, but note all of the CtC staff are not Android users, that should tell you something.

Apple products form a more tightly integrated ecosystem (hardware + software). If you use a Mac as your regular computer it might make sense to get an iPhone as certain things work well together (e.g. automatic syncing of photos, contacts, backups etc.) Android is open source; it’s led by Google but it’s the dominant phone operating system partly because it’s more open, so it runs on all kinds of different devices.

Top of the line Samsung devices, Google Pixel, and others are known to have great hardware too. Apple is generally known for having great design and a nice unified device/software experience, but it partly comes down to personal preference so I’d try out a few and see which feels better. Indeed we at CTC all use iPhones as well as Mac computers, and we recommend 'em, but plenty of folks like non-Apple phones for various reasons.

As you’ve noticed Apple’s retail stores are pretty different than typical old-school tech stores. For the better, mostly (easy to test all the devices!) but may take some getting used to and sometimes hard to find help when it’s busy. Usually you can recognize staff by their blue shirts with Apple logo. And really no need for brochures, you can just go to apple.com for comprehensive info on various products (e.g. compare tech specs on phone models here)

1 Like

They are much much much cheaper - that’s the main reason )
And, yeah, I’m android guy.

That’s an excellent point. I’ve been using a Mac for a long time too, so that will factor into my decision.

As for the store, I can only speak of my personal experience at that store. Other people may have very good experiences at their stores. The particular salesperson that eventually helped me after I’d waited quite a while, then just after maybe two minutes told me to wait while she walked away to talk to other customers. Then she did it again… The third time she walked away so did I, right out the door.

I bought a Samsung Galaxy s10e a few months ago and it’s a good phone, but not the best choice for CTC-style filming. The front-facing camera (aka “Selfie Cam”) doesn’t have a zoom nor a slow-motion feature. Kind of a bummer. There are a few variations of the Galaxy s10 that may have those functions, you’d have to look them up though.

1 Like

FWIW we never use the front-facing cam for filming with the iPhone — not sure it does slow-mo either, and the rear “main” cameras are typically always better. We just use the main wide-ish angle lens (no zoom / telephoto) for Magnet filming. I’ll bet your phone can do pretty great video, just be sure to use the rear camera(s).

1 Like

Are those the same cameras you use to film a full length MIM video?

That reminds me, when I’m looking at specs, many of them are acronyms I’ve never heard of and am trying to pick up. But there are plenty I still don’t know. What is it that I would look for in specs that would tell me how long I can video record at 1080p for? Not slow mo, but suppose my friend’s band is having a band practice in their basement and I decide to film it. IIf they have a 2 hour practice, are most of the phones capable of recording for that long, or would I have to stop at some point and put in a new memory chip or memory card (whichever is the right term)? How many hours total can you usually record at 1080p regular speed without needing to stop and change something? Thanks!

No we typically only use the iPhone for the Magnet close-up shots. For our primary cameras we have a couple we use, usually one for the main front wide shot, and one for side or overhead angle. Those are the Sony a7S II and the Panasonic GH5S.

Recording time varies because there are lots of factors like video codecs, resolutions, and framerates; pro cameras usually have all kinds of options but even iPhones for example have a number of settings (e.g. 1080p vs. 4k resolution, or regular 30fps vs. slow-mo 120/240fps) that will affect storage. You’ll have to google around to find info for specific cameras, but I found e.g. for iPhone this chart estimating recording time for various settings.

The iPhones don’t have expandable media so I wouldn’t get one with the smallest storage option, but for most configurations a couple hours should be no problem. I just googled something like ‘iphone video storage calculator’ to find the link above, similar queries should turn up relevant results for other phones / cameras. The most we record at a time is around a couple hours; beyond that, for regular speed 1080p your battery may run out before you run out of storage, but you could always get an external charger or battery case if necessary.

OK Brendan, that was all very helpful and I really appreciate it. Thank you!