Request: someone play Shawn Lane's "Gray Pianos Flying"

Oh no worries there man, I feel pretty humble knowing that the phrasing is not something I’ve worked on before, and it looks pretty hard. I’ll try it when I get back home in a few days.

I just realized that the video that was linked is the dude that was called out for playing along to midi (I think you can hear it some in the video too). Wondering if those are good fingerings then…

I guess if you can play it, let us know how good the fingerings are.

Biggest hurdle I have so far is the lack of patterns compared to the usual stuff I play. Here’s a clip of it sloooooow.

1 Like

At 50% speed, feeling a little more “logical” for lack of a better term.

First full speed attempt

5 Likes

This is the fretting that I ended up with:

1 Like

Same as @Prlgmnr. Well, almost.
I just recorded a 99% perfect versh but as I was going to post it here on the forums my dog stepped on my wife’s boob while she slept in the bed next to me.
I had recorded it about a half hour before we went to bed. Her sleep reflex was to swing wildly her arms and her right arm hit me in a flurry of karate like strikes. I blocked a large portion of those hits in a ninjai fashion but a stray pinky poke me in da eye!

I still had one good eye and was about to post that tough solo but the culprit dog at that moment decided it was time to run across my testicles to escape possible persecution for boob stepping my wife.
In a fit of pain I inadvertently hit the delete button. Now it seems like too much work to play but again. Sorry!

4 Likes

You’ve made this thread worth it, thank you.

You’ve made the thread worth it by actually doing the thing.

2 Likes

I just saw the the tab I uploaded contained one mistake. If you’re bored, feel free to call it out. Here’s the corrected one:

1 Like

You are the only person I have seen online actually playing that lick in a live environment. Fantastic!

2 Likes

Thanks @aliendough ! I saw a few dudes on YouTube do it, must’ve been a beast since they covered the entire song!

1 Like

Hey pepepicks no midi on Roy’s videos. Asked him myself. So Fingerings are totally good for GPFlying, got the transcription off his website, you can trust it. Any problems pm me. I can’t play like I used to due to arthritis but I could tackle a few Shawn Lane solos in my day. His tones not too hard to get either.

Not asking this to fan any flames or dispute the above and I don’t want to derail the thread, but seeing as you have spent time with him and may know - why does his tone sound so unnatural? Does he think that his tone sounds this way and if so? Is theee a functional reason or just that he likes it?

1 Like

I watched him play electric and acoustic for about ten or so minutes live. Hes doing a free 10 minute promo so I jumped at it. Which guitar/tone you talking about? You could ask him youself but will see if I can help sure.

Lol, pretty much all of them! Haha! I suppose mainly the ones that sound like midi. Just listened to a few and to me its almost like theres a mega amount of compression, his signature pick seems to have its own eq that thins out the tone and I don’t know what amp settings are being used. It just seems like an extremely narrow sonic beam. Maybe it helps when picking hyperspeed???

He definitely has a unique sound, i’ll give him that. I haven’t heard anyone else sound like it.

All that combined with him picking really near to the bridge sometimes (probably for the tension)

1 Like

Well I am on my second Jim Beam of the night so don’t expect my typing to get any better than this lol. One of the biggest surprises was watching him play slide and blues, I didn’t expect to get some of that cos the main thing I wanted to know about was the speed playing and the legato. but I said I liked the track he just released with Stu Hamm so he played some of that ebow sound with the slide. Its hard to pin him to any one tone as it varies from track to track but you always know its him so there must be something that makes it his sound.but how he sounds live isn’t like the raw technique videos. I got my notes out so heres as much of what he said that i could write down. He said I could record it but I hadn’t thought of that in time so I just wrote down what I could. Give me a minute

I think you are right on most of that. His main electric chain is eq to limiter. pushes the limiter hard as it can go and then sets threshold so he can control the dynamics. Says he doesnt like playing with gain as it means losing ability to control dynamics. He said he played classical first and flamenco and dynamics is really important to him even when playing electric. he said Shawn was good at adding dynamics even when he used gain but when he was at full flight the dynamics are lost for anyone. I got more but need to john - back in 2 Lol