RH and LH sync issues

Came up with this fingering, not sure if you’d dig it:

2 Likes

Hey @Jburd77! I sucks you caught Covid, but glad you are getting better!

First comment is that the first video is exactly how I would practice a lick like this one: a couple slow reps, a couple of medium speed reps and then some higher speed reps, repeat whole thing :slight_smile:

Second comment is that the sync is pretty great for most of the lick. The problems seem to occur mostly on the B string after that nasty pinky finger bar, is that correct?

On that B string, currently I’m not 100% sure if I’m hearing a repeated note or just a little offset between the pick attack and the fretting, which creates some short unintentional hammer on/pulloff sounds.

One idea we are currently testing on people is to identify exaclty the note (or notes) that is not played correctly, and see what happens if you start from that note and continue the lick from there.

So you could loop the problematic section of the lick in a way that it will always start at the problematic spot.

Let us know what happens when you try that and / or if this response makes any sense :smiley:

2 Likes

Are you alternate picking that?? If so that’s badass. I never thought about slowing this down and trying it as an alt picking exercise. How are you at faster tempo on the arpeggios with alternating? Paul is definitely sweeping this. He is a master of that technique.

I think I got my fingering from watching Paul in some videos and maybe from watching some covers. They are in C# standard of course.

Looks like you’re doing 4 notes with a position shift on the G string. I tried that and it feels fairly comfortable when going to the next 2 notes on the B string. So the only thing - you are skipping one note. Looks like you’re jumping from that D# on the B string 16 to the A on the e string fret 17. It goes from B17 to e17 (E to A), which is where my whole problem with the hinge/bar is coming from. I transcribe everything by ear so sometimes I miss things, but after listening to the remix/remaster slowed down on YouTube, you can hear that grouping of 3 notes. So just add a 17th fret to the B string, which will continue his 16th note triplet phrasing.

1 Like

I never thought about taking it right on the trouble spot. I just take that one phrase and loop it. Starting right on the hinge/bar on the B and e would be a new idea. And from the position shift from 15 to 14 with the first finger.

So question. On a lick like that with the hinge or bar from B to e, or on the first part where you’re sweeping an Am shape that is usually barred from D to G, do you fully bar that or roll it to keep notes separated? Frank Gambale talks about rolling along his finger. But this is precisely what’s slowing me down. In the first sweep, lifting that rolled bar to the G string to get to the B string tends to cause some slowdown. As it does on the 3nps pattern. I have never tried it as just a regular bar - I always roll or hinge as I call it. I wonder if at high speed the bleed over from the bar would be that noticeable?

Thanks for the reply. Good to know I’m practicing somewhat effectively.

Yeah I’m trying lol. I need to clean it up at speed, honestly never tried learning much BTBAM because of all the sweeping, so I just figured I’d pick it for some practice!

If it’s part of the ending “non-arpeggio”, I think that’s the part I’m mostly trying to clean up! Lol

Edit: just realized I had transcribed it wrong, I fixed my fingering to do the roll over with my pinky.

Edit 2: here’s my updated fingering to reflect @Jburd77 's feedback about the missing note:

1 Like

So, what follows is just my opinion! I would probably be burned for saying something like thins in some other guitar forums but here we go…

…I don’t care anymore about the finger rolling thing to keep the notes separated :slight_smile:

Particularly at higher speed,there is not a lot of time for the two notes to ring together and sound like a chord. Also, who cares if they ring together just a little, it’s rock and roll :smiley: Also, when you get the finger rolling wrong just a little you can end up muting the notes altogether, which IMO sounds even worse than a bit of ringing together (You know how in shred circles one sometimes jokes about begginer sweeps sounding like "first note, X X X X , pulloff, X X X, last note hehe)

Don’t get me wrong, I still do a little of the rolling thing when it feels comfortable. But in those places where I feel like it’s tripping me up, I just bar the £$^% out of it!

1 Like

Yes to all this!!!

2 Likes

That’s interesting. Mr. Malmsteen famously talked about note separation being the key to to clean and speedy arpeggios. I really have never tried just straight barring at high tempo. That’s what’s weird with me. Maybe it’s just getting older. But rolling seems like it used to be easier for me. These days it just lags. I’ll try both of those with just barring.

1 Like

Hehe, but you know what’s funny about this? Yngwie almost never does finger rolls, he bars everything! Watch any of his instructionals with a critical eye and you’ll see it :slight_smile:

The trick with him seems to be palm muting: as far as I can remember, he always palm mutes his arpeggios, and this is why the notes sound separated even when he bars across 2 or 3 strings.

Edit:

I think as guitarists we have been taught to be “absolutists”: either alternate pick everything or economy pick everything, either 100% picked or 100% legato, thumb behind neck at all times, thumb above the neck at all times, etc. etc. etc.

In reality, it’s good to see these things (e.g. barring VS rolling) as options that are always available to us. Just pick the one that feels best for each lick and you’re sorted :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@Jburd77 here’s a cleaner take of it alternate picked:

1 Like

Nice man that’s clean. I’ll have to try this out!

1 Like