Satriani plays Van Halen

I’ll fist fight Francis Ngannou if he talked shit about Satch (I’m 5’4", btw) and there’s no one I’d rather see up there for this. I just enjoy the discussion.

1 Like

:grinning: hahaha I’d help you! I’m 5’11" but a solid 225! I could hold and you could hit, or we could both get beatdown simultaneously - 100% worth it in defense of Satch!

Naw, my post was just a general reply! I have seen all kinds of trash talk on TGP and FB, YT etc etc and it just disgusts me so I thought I might like to leave a few positive words… somewhere…

Besides, it’s Joe Satriani - he’s like the boss of guitar!

1 Like

6’ and 160lbs but I got my brown belt last month. I think Francis could take all three of us.

People seem to forget how good Joe is. People don’t seem to realise how difficult it is to play melody well on an electric guitar, and he’s been killing it for nearly 40 years.

I’m hardly qualified to judge tapping skill, but I’m sure he would nail the Mean Street intro with some time to actually practice it.

Can’t remember if I’ve even commented on this thread (on a phone, too lazy to scroll up) and if so, if I’ve mentioned this but…

Satch was the first instrumental virtuoso guitarist recording purchase I made. He was my gateway into the whole genre. He’s…the man! He’s incredibly melodic, has feel for days and possibly has done as much, if not more, for the genre as anyone. He’s also an amazing songwriter and absurdly creative. If anyone is “worthy” to fill in for Ed, it’s Satch.

2 Likes

He also has his own action figure.

How many other guitarists can say that?

4 Likes

I was in a store last year and think I saw one of Slash lol

He deserves it too. He doesn’t have chops like many of the players we talk about on here but he’s a great “hook” writer, has killer tone, looks awesome and always sounds great. With the top hat, he’s also the Abe Lincoln of rock. Quite fitting since he hasn’t had a hit in at least “four score and seven years” lol!

I use that Jeff Ross joke whenever I can

2 Likes

Yes, and so many signature guitars…

I’ll bet that he has sold a lot of Les Paul guitars, Gibson must love him.

1 Like

I think Satchel would be the perfect fit.

I think what is happening is that this might be being pitched as a tribute to EVH - but what a section of people are wanting (in my opinion) is a Van Halen tribute band with Sammy and Mike in it.

It will be interesting to see whether Joe tries to appease those fans or just does his own version of things in the end.

Plus Zakk was best buds with Dime, so there’s that, which was a big factor. I believe if Dime himself had to choose someone to do him justice, it would be Zakk.

1 Like

I was going to say Pete Thorn would be my #1 choice, Phil X #2.

Charlie was definitely picked due to Dime’s close relationship with the Anthrax guys as well since Dime contributed on several of the 90s John Bush era albums.

This was a cool moment.