Gabrielthorn progress thread

My pentatonic lick struggles. Starting on an upstroke of course, otherwise I have no chance playing this.

Slowmo:

I feel my left hand is getting tired and it’s hard to keep up with the picking hand playing these type of licks.

This one starts with an upstroke too, I’ve posted it the other day but this video is better quality:

Slowmo:

1 Like

Erotomania lick … super uneven string shifts and getting stuck when I have to jump from the high E to the D string all the time or from the G to the low E.

Take 1:

Take 1 slowmo:

Take 2:

Take 2 slowmo:

I also tried pushing it today, on 145 bpm, I couldn’t play the entire lick without failing.

145 bpm push:

145 bpm push slowmo:

1 Like

Some Gilbert licks, I think they are half decent, except my arch enemy lick.

Ascending 6s run:

Ascending 6s run slowmo:

Ascending 6s run alternate version:

Ascending 6s run alternate version slowmo:

Descending 6s run:

Descending 6s run slowmo:

And the arch enemy lick. It’s very uneven, and I need a few secs in the beginning to get the feel of it and catch up with the tempo, but definitely an improvement. I couldn’t play it above 80 bpm 6s in the beginning of this month.

Arch enemy 6s:

Arch enemy 6s slowmo:

1 Like

Some Petrucci inspired simple runs, I’m “okay” with them except the swipefest lick and the inside picking versions.

Ascending outside picking run:

Ascending outside picking run slowmo:

Descending inside picking run:

Descending inside picking run slowmo:

Inside picking loop:

Inside picking loop slowmo:

Outside picking loop:

Outside picking loop slowmo:

Swipefest loop:

Swipefest loop slowmo:

An other outside picking loop:

An other outside picking loop slowmo:

1 Like

And some licks I like to play:

(Actually I don’t like to play this as I’ve always played with repeated last notes instead of position shifts, but now I’m practicing this too :slight_smile: )

Descending run with no repeated notes:

Descending run with no repeated notes slowmo:

And with repeated notes (I like it, and I like the sound of it too):

Descending run with repeated notes slowmo:

Andy James 6s starting with an upstroke:

Andy James 6s starting with an upstroke slowmo:

Gilbert style ascending run with descending 6s on the top:

Gilbert style ascending run with descending 6s on the top slowmo:

My 3nps scale playing:

Ascending run:

Ascending run slowmo:

Descending run:

Descending run slowmo:

2 Likes

Damn, so much content! I heard all the clips and I’d say they’re very consistent and sound great, no issues that are glaring or don’t fall within “being human” (minute mistakes).

I think you most struggle (from my perspective) on the “inside loop sixes”, the pentatonic struggle lick, and when you push Erotomania. All in all really great playing though I think, definitely not a single person that would notice the “problems” in a recording, let alone band context live.

4 Likes

Trueeeee storyyyyyyyyyyyy!

I got through about half of them and went ‘welp, this is clearly beyond my ability to critique because it all sounds ‘fine’ to my ears!’

I say again, nice playing! Dont’ sweat the minutiae, and keep riffing. I can’t imagine very many amateur bands looking for players that would see this and go ‘nah dude can’t handle OUR noise!’ :smiley:

3 Likes

Very much agree with the points above. I think what I’d really like to see/hear is you putting all these skills into an actual piece, played in a mix.

You have all the skills in isolation and are getting to the stage where any feedback is almost pointless. I took a listen to some isolated Petrucci solos on YT the other day and all of the same ‘artifacts’ that you identify in your playing are there, especially when you slow the audio down.

One thing I always try to remember is - the sound of a naked guitar (especially one with no effects) is pretty ugly on its own, bit sit it in a mix and it sounds like heaven.

3 Likes

Thank you for checking them, yes it’s a lot of clips, so I appreciate you spent time on watching them. Any suggestions how to work on the 4 groupings and the erotomania stuff? Should I keep experimenting on these tempos and see if it clicks one day?

Thank you too for checking the clips. (Or half of them :smiley: ) I’d still like to know how to work on my weaknesses and what is the best way to get confident playing those licks cleanly and not slow, so any advice is welcome.

I agree, the sound of the guitar is scary, but honest. I can’t think of a song on my bucketlist I’d be able to play right now and record, also, I’d need to find a good backing track or make one which is beyond my skillset at the moment :frowning_face:

That’d be like a former middling University level sprinter (me) giving running advice to a pro circuit competitor (you).

Any advice I’d be giving would likely be redundant! Honestly, I’d say at this point, if you want to progress more (with some direction) find yourself a band or write some songs/covers and figure out what you REALLY need to work on for music you want to play/compose when it’s mixed together.

If you’re having issues tracking something after it’s been placed in the mix and you don’t like how it sounds, now THAT is a useful and beneficial problem area to work at. At the moment, nothing I’ve heard in that long list of clips needs work (as it sounds from those clips to my ears, your mileage may vary)

/shrug

This is not a criticism by the way, I’m jealous as hell of your aptitude and playing, keep shredding! Love it.

2 Likes

I’m thinking you need to ditch the metronome for a bit and play along to the actual songs you’re wanting to play (like Erotomania). Get yourself into a situation where you have to hit a riff at tempo, no other way around it. I had to do that plenty in a band situation, which I think you haven’t had to do, right? You’ll likely be “sloppy” (at least by your standards) and uncomfortable, but the goal is to find your weakest point in the passage, work on it, and repeat.

3 Likes

It doesn’t need to be a bucket list song at all, just a piece that has a challenging tempo, but within your limits and not too difficult to learn. To me, its all about bedding the technique in and being able to transition from say an easy melody and into the shred. You don’t even need to record it with anything special. The video setup you are using is fine, you are not trying to record an album or anything.

3 Likes

My weakest points are clear in both Erotomania and Universal mind, hopefully they’ll get resolved by practicing and finding a more relaxed way to play those passages.

I have a very brief history with guitar, I’ve never left my room with the instrument so I have zero experience with playing in a band. I didn’t want to play with others without having a good technique.

Do you have any recommendations?

That’s a horrible mentality to have in my opinion. I started playing with other people as soon as I could, failing at punk songs. You learn a ton about music / yourself / others when you put yourself in that space.

2 Likes

Plus it makes it abundantly clear what IS and is NOT important to sweat over. It’s (kindof) win win!

Although I’ll cry a little when you nail it (jokes!), maybe something like Morning Star by Vinnie Moore. I started learning it after seeing Tommo cover it. Its a cool tune and around 120 bpm IIRC - its not difficult to learn, but my technique is not quite up to par… I suspect yours is!

You already have great technique. When this Covid shit is over, I would advise you to get out there in a band - it doesn’t have to be a racer-x tribute band! Even a classic/modern rock or metal band will give you the confidence and with your technique you would be able to cover the tracks that most don’t dare to!!!

1 Like