Some easy tips for presenting TAB/notation in the forum, and a template to share

I prefer uncluttered tab where rhythms are presented by standard notation in a standard notation staff that parallel’s the TAB in a given system. I find it easier to read the more abstract bend notations and whatnot when I don’t have the hybrid notation going on. Presented with tablature only, I’m frustrated by the need to meta translate into musical notes before applying my own fingerings.

I think when discussing presentation of TAB vs standard notation as well as how to include the rhythm it’s really about context and audience.

I’m going to use different approaches if I’m trying to show a song vs a scale or concept, and I’m going to present differently depending on who I know is going to be looking at it.

As one example of this, for beginner students that aren’t trying to be serious musicians I’ll be less formal and shoot for an uncluttered page. When I’m writing something out to show to a more advanced player I’ll try to include as many details as I feel are worth including to make things playable from the page.

Some recent transcriptions:

sarah longfield

Arianna Powell

2 Likes

Hey, I guess I’m late to the party but I just noticed that SoundSlice will import a gp7 file. Very nice. And thanks @JakeEstner for sharing the sample transcriptions.