Technique critique and subscription question

I have a very general question about the technique critique and subscriptions. I’m not sure this is the right section; but the others looks less suitable.

Anyway, I understand that it is now required to have a subscription in order to get a technique critique. Does this mean a current Masters in Mechanics subscription or is having purchased the Pickslanting Primer sufficient?

William

1 Like

Hi there!

The “public” system of technique critique on the Forum is still around for everyone. You might not always get feedback from Troy or me directly (depending on our availability) —, but the community has gotten very good at pointing people in the right direction .

For TC on the platform, you indeed need a MIM subscription. There, you have a guarantee that you will get feedback from the instructors, and you also have the option to keep your critiques private if you so prefer.

Here’s Troy’s recent blog post with more details, and let me know if you have any further questions :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Everything Tommo said. As to the Primer question, we thought about that, but we decided that a subscription is the minimum. The development time was significant, the teaching workload on us is significant, and thirty five bucks is not a lot to ask for what amounts to a personalized and pretty specialized guitar lesson, with no limits on the number or requests or amount of feedback. Plus we have the scholarship option if cost is really an issue. So we think it’s a fair deal!

3 Likes

Now that is a deal if I’ve ever heard one!

1 Like

I have a MIM subscription and have received TC feedback from Tommo and Troy. It was beyond my unrealistic expectations! ;o) Seriously, the feedback is detailed and focused. I’m not Mr. Speed now (-not yet) but my playing has improved a lot because I’m getting the sort of feedback I can’t give myself or get from players I happen to know. (“Looks okay to me! Keep practicing!”)
It is a great feeling to know one is on the right track. Also, this way, the search for ways to improve is more fine-tuned. You don’t have to start from scratch when you hit a brick wall; maybe you just need to slightly adjust your hand position.
I wish I had had this opportunity years ago.
Thanks Troy and Tommo—you’ve done me a lot of good!

2 Likes