Technique Critique Please

Hey guys, never been able to get the hang of shredding, but recently feeling good about chunking method and it seems to be working.
Let me know what I can improve on.
Thanks

Wow, you’re well on your way! I think this sounds really good. The only thing I notice is that the right and left hand aren’t totally in sync the whole time. It is close! Watching it in slower motion I think the final couple positions (where your fretting hand is index ring and pinky) is where the drift is most noticeable. You could either focus on that pattern in isolation, or give it a try with index middle ring. It’s sort of controversial among guitarists which one feels better but there was a post on here that took a very scientific approach on why combinations of the ring and pinky at high speeds was less efficient:

Anyway, great playing!

2 Likes

Thanks for the feedback!
I think I will stick to the fingering for now, and try and isolate the pattern.
Do you recommend practicing it slow to a metronome or rather play it fast but slightly slower until its tight?

I think the guidance around here is to generally make sure your fingers know the pattern, so just a little work at slower speeds to make sure everything is synced up, then go for it at the faster speeds. Metronome advice is hit or miss and probably personal. Troy’s mentioned many times he built his speed without the grueling metronome work preached by many.

I know references are nice, and your index middle pinky work seemed cleaner, so maybe go back and forth between repetitions of index middle pinky, then the pattern you need work on and try to feel what’s different.