The Count's Hyper Picking

Thanks for the shoutouts during the live feed! An honour to be mentioned in the same sentence as Steve Morse and Rusty Cooley!
Shot the videos today. Currently uploading to drop box. Did a few takes of tremolo, a few more of the max speed tremolo and a short hyper picking solo with a few licks, just for a bit of fun (a nice break from the one note spasms as well!) Currently uploading to Drop Box, should be with you in an hour or so. Let me know if they’re ok!

3 Likes

Awesome - thanks for putting this together. We’ll take a look.

1 Like

Edited the best tremolo together for fun. Sadly the wide shot is blurry which is super annoying. Didn’t notice that. The rest seem to be ok, if not great. Hope it’s useable anyway!

1 Like

One final video! Just put this together for a little bit of fun. Over to Mr Grady for the analysis!

3 Likes

Great playing! Without slowing it down, this sounds closer to sixteenths for this tempo, which is slower than hyper. Does this still feel like the same technique to you? Form does look the same. Did you ever try the “all tempos” test, to see if there’s a dead zone in there somewhere which is “too slow” for hyper picking and too fast for “speed”?

3 Likes

Thanks Troy. That’s interesting it’s 16ths, I wasn’t sure, it was one of my ‘stock’ licks. Ear letting me down again. It definitely feels like the same technique. Apologies, I totally forgot the ‘all tempos’ test. I’ll record that for you tomorrow morning!

2 Likes

Tighten up Count. We need these hyper vids pronto. :sunglasses:

:bear:

All recorded, tremolos between 160 and 400 bpm (admittedly 400 is flat out stupid and not particularly great but I included it in the package anyway!) Soon Hank, soon!
Uploading to dropbox as we speak.

2 Likes

Awesome Count! lol, I was just joking with you about pronto. I look forward to watching for sure! :grinning:

Don’t worry, I got that you were joking @Hanky_Pooh ! Just sent the stuff over to the team. As I said in the email to @Troy :

From 160-220bpm I use my standard elbow technique. If we’re going by the Anthony Martello terms this is the ‘speed picking’ tier.
240-400 is the ‘hyper picking’ tier. I think 380 and 400 are pushing it a bit, probably not that accurate, but I included them anyway.
Also worth nothing that 220 is pushing it a bit with my standard elbow technique, even though I can do it and 240 feels a little slow to do the hyper picking movement. With a bit of practice I have no doubt that area could be smoothed out and I’d have no issues. But there doesn’t seem to be a dead spot I can’t hit at all.

2 Likes

An example of the kind of madness I sent to Troy. Enjoying the soothing sound of rapid tremolo picking (400bpm is probably pushing it a bit…)

2 Likes

That’s awesome man. I wonder if you could palm mute a rhythm that fast. Hyperspeed Metal…

:bear:

Does smoke ever come out of the strings?

It’s been known :wink: no pyros involved, I just tremoloed too much! Haha!

And @Hanky_Pooh i haven’t got muting right on this technique, it sound too percussive currently but with practice it should sound pretty cool! Super aggressive!

1 Like