The guitar doesn't fit - issues with size and position

The Jackson king V much cheaper than the ProSeries king V. I don’t understand why

That’ terrible advice.

Doing the same thing and expecting different results is insanity.

Expecting that what fits you will fit me is not smart, especially considering that I’ve posted ample evidence to indicate otherwise.

Maybe I can tell you ride my bike without adjusting the seat first, yeah? Just keep practicing it for another 25 years. The reason that your feet don’t reach the pedals is you need to relax more.

You’re talking about how you solved your own problems and that therefore your solution is going to solve my problems.

I’m glad you’ve gotten everything solved for yourself.

I don’t think that is what he is really saying. You do need to do something different from what you are doing now, but the different guitar MAY not solve it - you may/likely need to work on what you are doing regardless of the guitar. Personally, I do think that you should investigate other guitars and the above posts do indicate that others have experience some of the things you described and have also benefited greatly from finding the right guitar for them. If this solves the problem entirely, then that would be awesome and I would be the first to congratulate and encourage it. However, what if a V style guitar helped only half of what you needed in order to acheive your goals - what then? You will have to work on what you are physically doing, just as we all do.

Although I agree with the sentinents in @J.P.Amboss post, where he/she has also provided some practical advice that will at least help in the short term, maybe it could have been written in a different way to convey some of the points… just my 2 cents (or pence seeing as I’m from sunny UK!).

Let us know how you get on with the Flying V - I think that there are a number of folks on this site that play that sort of guitar, they might help you make the most informed choice possible.

2 Likes

Maybe i do see what your problem is.

When you are sitting down i think you hold the guitar more on the right side of your body then when you are standing; then it is more in front of your body.
Try to hold the guitar also more on the right side of your body when you are standing. This will move your left arm away from the left side of your body and therefore creates more space.

Hope this helps…

When you are sitting down i think you hold the guitar more on the right side of your body then when you are standing; then it is more in front of your body.

That’s not the problem for my left hand. The problem for my left hand is not enough space for my left forearm causing my hand to be smashed against the back of the neck. Then I have to pull back my elbow and it’s very tense and jammed and uncomfortable.

Sorry this did not help you enough…
However, i don’t think a different/special designed guitar will help you enough also.
The problem in my opinion still lies more in finding the right arm/hand position when playing in the upper register on the guitar.

When going up higher on the guitar we of course all have to deal with less space where the left arm/ellbow touches the body and moving backwards a bit.
With longer arms/ hands the problem is probably a bit bigger but not so big that you can’t overcome this with changing the positioning of your arm and hand.
It is difficult to explain though without sitting in the same room and helping you by moving your arm and hand position.
The first thing i would try to do is bring out your left arm/elbow a bit more away from yor body and lower it a bit at the same time, which also brings the wrist and hand more towards the front of the neck then on the back. It is a bit more like a position you will use when learning classical guitar.
This may feel very strange and uncomfortable at first, but you once you get used to it it will become comfortable.

There are more players with longer arms and bigger hands and they play a Strat or Les Paul type etc… guitar.
Keep trying to find the right arm/hand position before waisting any money on a special build guitar.
You can do it in my oponion, i am sure of that.

Keep on rocking!

Right. Yngwie is freaking 1.90m and has no problems with strat. Though he keeps nice angle between his body and a guitar, especially when sitting.

1 Like

The problem is not that your arm is too long, or the design of your guitar

You are not using your left shoulder joint, . You can create all the space you need by using it.

Using that and the Andjoy advise you will solve the problem, and if you stick with it, just a little time, you will find that there is not discomfort at all in playing like that. It is a very natural position.

Look, Paul Gilbert, 1.93 m height, insanely large hands, same guitar.

We’ve talked about the left shoulder extensively in this thread. Retracting the scapula fully gets the arm back some but not enough. Moving the guitar to the right helps some, too.

The idea of the guitar design is to get the more of the same effect — get the guitar shifted more to the right and further from my shoulder — by making a guitar that is less painful to play.

Then you are not doing the correct movement. I’m gonna try to make a video.

I just got my other Ibanez modded to have the strap button adjustments. The button protrudes 2cm from back of the the upper horn giving me about 6 cm more and easier time pushing the guitar out in front a few extra cm.

Here you are.

That’s really all you need to do.

As you see it is not retracting your scapula. That would be a very inefficient way of trying it, you would tense up a lot.

It is using your shoulder joint, moving your humerus. Just an arm extension of about 10º. A very confortable position to maintain for a long time.

1 Like

I think that you should consider taking your guitars and seeing somebody that specializes in ergonomics. One such example (of many) are “Alexander Technique” practitioners that specialize in musicians, they’ll want to see you playing. A lot of musicians develop all kinds of serious problems, and I’m delighted that you’re addressing any potential issues.

Given that I use my hands nearly constantly if I’m awake, I try to take care of them. When I sit with a guitar it is in a full classical position with a stool, etc. When I stand I have a strap that doesn’t slide and I keep my neck at a classical angle. One thing that I note is that a guitar does’t have to be fixed, one can jerk it around and reorient it as needed, and this is also visually exciting for the audience. Check out the associated thread that suddenly delves into this issue at the end,

That feels tight in the front of the shoulder and changes the angle of my hand so that it’s pointed more down. There doesn’t seem to be any way for me to play high on the neck.

I ran out of money and had to get a job. I tried playing guitar again today and my skill is pretty bad, even for not having played for three weeks.

I want a guitar that fits me then I can actually play. It might be that a flying V is gonna work better for me.

The next thing I need is time so that I can learn how to play the guitar.

The strap button adjustments that the tech put in, Shown in the previous photo I posted, don’t work. The screw holes are loose, so the screws just spin and spin, loose in the hole, causing the buttons to be loose. It’s going to be another four hours and $50 of Uber trips to get that fixed.

Put a toothpick in the hole.

Man, unless you have some kind of medical condition in your shoulder, the way I told you to solve the problem wont make your shoulder strain at all.

I really think you are making things very difficult for yourself by refusing to adapt, and trying to approach the problem by changing the instrument instead of your technique.

Dont get me wrong, everybody have certain shapes of guitar that suits them better, and that’s fine, but your problem is technique related and by refusing of letting go of the bad habit that creates the problem you are limiting yourself to feel confortable only under a very specific set of conditions, and that’s not so good.

I really think that although it may has been a real pain in the ass for you, your problem is indeed a very easily solvable one.

If you want we can try to make a Skype conversation and try to figure it out in real time. Right now I’m at my home in Spain and I have Strats and Vs available (not any RG/JEM here) . PM mail me if interested and we can arrange it.

2 Likes

Billy Bo Gibbons.

This guitar has a very low strap button, far below the bridge. That shifts the guitar more to the left. I think it’s a good start. If the lower strap button is on the face of the body, and higher up, the strap can go over the top of the guitar easily. This will pop the guitar out in front some and, being higher on the body, will angle the guitar more.

How can I try one out? I’m going to be going with a custom guitar. And this is one shape that looks promising that I have never tried. I need to try it.

Hi @GTR.

I know this has been a frustrating issue for you. Have you settled on any particular style, body shape in particular? Weren’t you considering a V recently?

It might be worth buying a used, cheap guitar of a similar body style and trying many different combinations of strap pin positions to see what would give the playing position you’d find most comfortable. If you found something was almost right, but that part of the body was in the way or not shaped correctly for you, you could even go so far as to cut or reshape the body, and then specify that on your custom build.

As somebody who has spent thousands of dollars on a custom instrument and had to wait more than 3 years for it to be delivered, I can’t imagine how upset I would have been if the instrument wasn’t comfortable for me to play. Knowing exactly what it is you want is crucial to getting exactly what you want.

I still think that it’s still worth trying a pin behind the neck heel with a large, padded strap. Any comment on the pictures I posted above?

I wonder if a MusicMan St. Vincent would be up your alley. The shape seems like what you’re looking for, at least.

1 Like

The St. Vincent’s body length is good. It might be worth testing the weight. Just putting the undesirable design the guitar aside and feeling the balance and weight.

I think the Billy-Bo Jupiter has something interesting going on with the chambering. The design could be more cutaway, redoing the bridge and electronics, etc.

Both look playable sitting.