The last 5 notes of Cliffs of Dover intro (Studio Version)

Hello everyone!

How do you guys play this part of the intro of Cliffs of dover?

---------------------
-16-14------------
-------17-14------
--------------17—
---------------------

I’ve managed to play the whole intro using the USX motion, the sweeps, and the hybrid picking part. But those last notes before the harmonic… I don’t know how solve it.

Is it explained in some part of cascade? Because I’m watching the seminar and couldn’t find that part yet.

My only solution at the time it’s switch to DSX and the go back to USX on every 5 notes. Which it feels a little bit weird and unpredictable to play it right. I also tried to do one hammer on of nowhere, but doesn’t sound as articulate as the recording.

Cheers!

2 Likes

That is definitely covered in the seminar. Not sure where exactly and I have pretty limited time and internet access today.

I remember several proposed solutions and though I am almost certain Troy decided EJ did NOT do this, playing the 5th note of that pattern as a hammer from nowhere works like a charm.

1 Like

Ah I found it. Someone else made a post with this same question here

That contains a link to the chapter in the seminar and some brief discussion from community members and even Troy. Good luck!

2 Likes

I do it like this;

–16—14—12--------------------
---------------------14—12-------

1 Like

That was actually how I used to do it too. Last note is a down, lean a little to start over with another down. So, primarily DSX but economy at the end. It was one of the only EJ phrases that felt easy to me lol

1 Like

Thank you so much for your help Joe! I definitely will give a new try on the Hammer from nowhere. And of course I will check the chapter from cascade.

1 Like