The Mixed-Escape Vocab Thread

Sounds cool but I get the feeling the fingering could be “friendlier”. I’ll give it a go later.

1 Like

You’re right! I never even thought of it, which is weird: I have a short-ass pinky.

E|--15--12----------------------12--17--12----------------------12--
B|----------15--13------13--15--------------15--13------13--15------
G|------------------12------------------------------13--------------
D|------------------------------------------------------------------
A|------------------------------------------------------------------
E|------------------------------------------------------------------
1 Like

Okay, last one this week, I swear!

E|--------10--------10--------9--------9--------9-----------7--------7--------7--------7--------7--
B|-----8---------8---------8--------8--------8-----------8--------8--------7--------7--------7-----
G|--7---------7---------7--------7--------7--------7--9--------9--------9--------9--------9--------
D|-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A|-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
E|-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just a roll with some cutesy suspensions, nothing fancy. I think I’m stringhopping this one – the accuracy absolutely craters if I try to speed it up at all.

Yeah some of these are mixed escape…pretty sure to do that one smooth it needs to be DBX though. Always a curved motion. It’s the only way I can think of to make the string skips not feel jarring. Pretty close to a bluegrass forward roll.

I mean yeah, the picking pattern is just a straight roll, so the motion has to be double-escape.

Right I meant more like, with some of these licks, it’s possible to adapt a one way escape and just use a helper motion on a couple notes here and there. That Gilberts tremolo thing you posted is a great example. You can DSX your way through most of that, just add a little turn before it starts over. Some licks though, gotta be DBX the whole way.

That’s interesting to me because I think there is a difference. There are plenty of players who seem to get away with the mixed escape paradigm. Not sure they have a crosspicking motion though.

1 Like

Ohhhh, gotcha, yeah! Troy said in my other thread that what I was doing (at the time, at least) was definitely that style, so my DBX motion may not be fully formed yet, which would explain some things :laughing:

I can’t tell you for how freaking long I thought mixed escape and DBX were just aliases haha

1 Like

@joebegly Isn’t it the same? What’s the difference?

Mixed escape is like if you mainly play DSX but occasionally (where needed) use a helper motion to do USX. Or the complete opposite. Mainly play USX but when needed a few DSX moves happen via helper motion. In either case with mixed escape, there is a primary motion/escape.

DBX is where all the pick strokes are curved. All down strokes escape, all upstrokes escape.

Or switching between the two. Either way it’s still mostly a diagonal picking path. Whereas dbx is the shallow U shape, where every pickstroke escapes.

Although, if you have a scale pattern and then some 1nps parts parts. You’d still be mixing escapes, but likely only using dbx where it’s needed. At very high speed, no need to be making multiple notes on a string have every note escape.

If anyone wants some real headache inducing DBX/string skipping stuff I took the liberty of tabbing out the first half of this

Tab: JS Bach Chromatic Fantasy.pdf (206.7 KB)

Guitar pro: JS Bach Chromatic Fantasy.gp (11.9 KB)

EDIT: Fixed the files, they were crowded and had a couple of gaps - also I did not bother getting timing to match, just got the notes/placement down

3 Likes