THE (Super Ultra Hyper Mega Meta) Ear Training Post

I made a chart for this a while back, but of course good to do the process of making your own:

start and end points are arbitrary; column farthest to the left could be open string or first fret or second fret, whatever. A bit more than an octave on each string is shown, so it just loops around.

4 Likes

Interesting!

Iā€™m familiar with it but havenā€™t dabbled much. What do you think the advantages are? I feel like it gets more awkward/vague when dealing with music that mixes modes.

Also interesting! I actually donā€™t teach ear training in the interval recognition way because I think recognizing the sound and feel of each pitch relative to key center is 1000x more useful than towards any kind of playing or writing goal than just intervals in the absolute.

However I do think itā€™s useful to recognize intervals as part of the whole big picture. Why do you think it does harm?

4 Likes

Nice! I thought I was the only one who did this sort of shit!

I canā€™t speak for everyone, but like I said in the other thread, minor tonalities naturally fall on a la tonic for me. If Iā€™m trying to figure out something that has an ambiguous tonality Iā€™ll use fixed do instead.

Only because I see people told pretty much everywhere that identifying intervals is the best way to train your ear. This sets the student up for a long hard slog (lends itself to a lot of confusion imo), like you say - functional pitch recognition is 1000 times easier and will get the student to where they want to be far more quickly.

Agreed intervals have their applications, but learning how to play by ear/transcribe quickly is not one of them.

2 Likes

I use whatever I have clearly in mind to scaffold learning whatever feels tricky in mind. For example, if one sings ā€œdo re mi fa so la ti doā€ easily, and wants to learn to nail phrygian, then sing past ā€˜doā€™ and back down to ā€˜miā€™.

Once I have the sound clearly, then I will apply other syllable sets as appropriate. This is hinted at earlier in the threadā€¦

So if I can hear/sing, ā€œmi fa so la ti do re miā€ clearly (the relative view of the mode), Iā€™m set to sing ā€œdo ra me fa so le te do.ā€

The downfall of traditional interval ear training is that the same intervals appear in wildly different contexts. I find itā€™s imperative to allow oneā€™s ear to hear a musical fragment composed of whatever intervals as existing in more than one tonal space. The easier way to explain the latter is to have someone work out a tune that begins on ā€˜soā€™ or ā€˜faā€™, hence the extra challenge in what Nolte was asking for.

For us early education deprived mortals, the remedial work will require discipline, repetition of exploration, and patience, but above all, joy. It gets easier.

3 Likes

In my case, I donā€™t think its the learning of intervals, but the relatively inorganic way that theyā€™re commonly introduced that can set us back in our development of understanding of the same.

3 Likes

Hereā€™s a post I wrote years ago, and had forgotten about. Hope itā€™s helpful for someone. Happy to answer any questions you may have here, post away.

https://www.harmonycentral.com/forum/forum/guitar/acapella-40/1887337-

3 Likes

Time warp to many years ago that doesnā€™t seem all that long ago. :slight_smile:

Generous post @BubbaMc! Do you still use the ā€œ>ā€ and ā€œ<ā€œ notation to indicate direction? I prefer to use ā€œ/ā€œ and ā€œ\ā€ but typically only when notating a skip or jump for clarity of interpretation. For example, resurrecting Jingle Bells from your Harmony Central post of yore:

Jingle bells: mi mi mi mi mi mi mi > so < do > re > mi > fa fa fa etc.

I would typically notate as follows, two ways, one for myself (known melody), and a second to show others perhaps not sure what they are looking at, or when logging a tune Iā€™ve transcribed that I wonā€™t necessarily fully remember by name when looking back over my notes.

Jingle bells: mi mi mi, mi mi mi, mi so do re mi. fa fa fa etc.

Jingle bells: mi mi mi, mi mi mi, mi / so \ do re mi. fa fa fa etc.

Anyone else doing something different? Is there a standard in use anywhere? I keep an ear training/transcription notebook, so this regards daily use with a pen or pencil.

The other thing I want to say is, folks have to understand that the solfege arose to answer the need for singable note names. This seems lost on many as the folks that answered you reveal. The ear training work is in the application.

Choose your poison? Singā€¦

F#

Fi

The first one is limited to a particular pitch, the second comprises a mouthful of syllables with a plosive in the middle, instead of oneā€¦ Feeeeeeeā€¦ for days, right?

And since I brought it up, here is a practical example of fi:

do re mi fi so la ti la so fi mi re do

ā€¦key agnostic expression of lydian. Iā€™m hearing and singing the line in my head (audiation). We need a musical alphabet, and then all of the chunking and whatnot can kick in as we speak our music conversationally. Happy Friday everyone!

3 Likes

Clarification regarding:

More commonly I would notate this way, ā€œmiā€ and ā€œsoā€ together, so close and commonly sung togetherā€¦

Jingle bells: mi mi mi, mi mi mi, mi so \ do re mi. fa fa fa etc.

So I guess the downward slash comes in with jumps more than skips per se.

1 Like

You and I are probably the only ones doing it in the first place :slight_smile:

1 Like

Sad but likely. :slight_smile:

I guess the question was really directed at what you are aware of. :slight_smile:

1 Like

ā€œThe journey of a [Confirmation head], begins with a singleā€¦ā€

so / mi so!
1 Like

Likely :smiley:
Iā€™m now considering some kind of solmisation but havenā€™t begun yet.

This thread will definitely be useful once I decide to dive into this training. Thanks for sharing your knowledge :+1: Much appreciated!

4 Likes

Not that anybody asked, but I think I have found the fundamental problem of my aural abilities: I canā€™t hum/sing the melody I have in mind.
I guess it may sound stupid but I have a vague idea how the melody should sound (perhaps merely an impression?) but I canā€™t recreate it with my voice nor with my instrument. (Well, I almost canā€™t. Itā€™s just very hard.)

One reason of such situation might be that I was never a singer. I simply donā€™t sing. I can hum along some tune but once you take the external sound away, Iā€™m unable to find those sounds. (I know, pathetic. Trust me, you wonā€™t be able to find harsher words than those I already think about myself.)
Anyway, so now I know the problem! :partying_face: It means I can work on it now and thatā€™s how I currently do it:

1. Listen to few notes on a loop (as long as I need to)
  2. Hum along.
  3. Stop audio and try to hum without external cruthces.

Laugh all you can but even this simple exercise gives me some trouble. Luckily, I seem to improve.
After I can hum the sounds by myself, I try to find them on guitar (or GuitarPro since it plays a note whenever I enter it).

Perhaps (by a miracle) somebody else happens to be in a similarly embarrassing situation as I am and perhaps such person will find it encouraging that there is at least one more musician who is also struggling with such elementary steps. At least I would be encouraged if I knew that Iā€™m not the one who has the absolutely worst aural skills :sweat_smile:

Back to the topic of solfege/solmization: does everybody here uses do re mi solfege system? Has anyone found something you didnā€™t like about those syllables and/or tried to modify them somehow? (I checked the wiki page on solmization but there isnā€™t too much information. Well, perhaps there isnā€™t much to write about.)

Another question: the way I understand it, these syllables are only useful if I have the root in mind, correct? For example, letā€™s take the good olā€™ ā€œHappy Birthdayā€: it wonā€™t do much if I sing so, so, la, soā€¦ but I donā€™t know that these are 5, 5, 6, 5 degrees of a major scale, correct? I kind of have to keep ringing the root in my mind so that I can ā€œmeasure upā€ the sound as so/5th. If Iā€™m correct, does anybody have any experience/thoughts about practicing solfege while a drone root rings in background?

3 Likes

ā€¦fun fact. In russian musical theory ā€˜Do-Re-Mi-Fa-Sol-La-Siā€™ are actual notes names. I mean, you use latin letters (C-D-E-F-G-A-B) while we use Guidos solmisation. So, our ā€˜Doā€™ is always ā€˜Cā€™ ))

Anyway, as a man with relative picth if I hear some song and I have no instrument around I usually consider the songs root as ā€˜Cā€™ (if it has major quality) or ā€˜Aā€™ (if it has minor quality).
And yes, seems like singing is the key. Well, Iā€™m not a good singer but I tried to sing scales, and it was funā€¦ I often whistle instead of singing ))

2 Likes

All of the different ways of looking at music scaffold (hopefully) greater fluency. Not so much one thing leading to another so much as everything leading to something else.

If you canā€™t match pitches with your voice, you likely wonā€™t experience the ā€œahaā€ of checking ones mental map with sung notes and having the degrees ā€œpopā€ in oneā€™s awareness, but thatā€™s not the end of the world. You could just use numbers and syllables in your mind, but Iā€™d encourage you to say the singable syllables as they are handy unsung too, especially for instrumentalists. I could imagine, say, ā€œflat five,ā€ but I know what a flat five is, and ā€œseā€ is a nice shorthand in one syllable.

Iā€™d emphasize that I use a combination of moveable and fixed, chromatic solfege, and I choose starting references based on need. E.g. analyzing a whole tune versus learning to hear an altered note over a particular chord in isolation. Root notes in a progression (do, do, do, ā€¦) are pretty dulling to awareness, but audiating individual chord scales may be enhanced by a root specific ā€œdo.ā€

The singing of intervals is tricky relative to singing chunked phrases. One doesnā€™t absolutely need a drone to practice, but having a pitch reference handy can be nice. If the goal is to hear the intervals in context, yes, but otherwise, I tend to practice with whatever ā€˜doā€™ feels comfortable, and Iā€™ll audiate or sing up a scale to check pitches for accuracy. Julian Bradley speaks of ā€œthe stepping stone method.ā€ Wasnā€™t sure Iā€™d need it, but I find more and more that it solidifies my awareness of a key in context.

Not certain I answered your specific questions. There was a fair amount in the ask. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@Medium_Attempt have you ever played around with a piano keyboard? Iā€™d suggest getting hold of a cheap one, pick out melodies and generally experiment.

2 Likes

Honestly, that doesnā€™t even matter too much. I get quite an amount of value from these posts anyway :relaxed: (But yeah, you did answer some things :+1:)

No, I havenā€™t touched keyboard much in my life. (Only minimaly while studying)
Anyway, I have heard similar advice but I donā€™t think it would bring me to some kind of enlightenment because I have worked quite a bit on single strings (which function like a piano. Well, at least as long as one plays only one note at a time). I have played scales and scalar patterns in such way as well as melodies so I have some experience at that :wink:
Still, thanks for the help :+1:

2 Likes

@Medium_Attempt - Iā€™d still consider one for a few reasons. The notes are right in front of you in black and white (excuse the pun), and the technique to play it is a no brainer, choose the note and press the key. This makes a big difference, allows your brain to focus on the sound instead of visualising the fretboard and coordinating the two hands. Playing fast is easy. You can come up with melodies that you wouldnā€™t normally think of on guitar. Also, if you stick to the white keys only youā€™re essentially locked into a key (eg C major/A minor) and experimenting with chords and melody is dead simple - much simpler than guitar.

Aaand, using MIDI and a computer you can play bass and drums on it :wink:

I really think it might lead to the enlightenment youā€™re looking for. If you donā€™t get anything out of it after playing around for a month you could sell it for what you paid.

edit: And you can hack your way through Mozard and Bach sonatas and teach yourself how to read sheet music (also very helpful to train your ear). The list of ways it can help your ear is endless. Ok Iā€™ll stop now.

That said, Iā€™ll understand if you donā€™t :smile:

Mine hasnā€™t got much love lately, after writing that though Iā€™ll do something about it.

2 Likes

How do you pick a syllable to start on when practicing solfege on nursery rhymes etc?

This ended on a do, so it worked out nicely, but did you know that before running through it? How?

2 Likes

If you start mapping from ā€˜doā€™ and find yourself requiring accidentals for notes not otherwise just used in passing, listen to the starting note for whether it sounds resolved or not, and revise your assumption. As you observe, a nursery rhyme will likely end on ā€˜doā€™.

The notes in the melody will fit into whatever parent scale, akin to puzzle pieces. If something doesnā€™t fit, that may be a clue to what does.

Iā€™m a fan of priming the engine, so to speak. Grab a book of melodies, write out the solfege. Sing the solfege and then alternate with singing the parent scale.

so - so  la - so  do   ti ...

then

do re mi fa so la ti do, do ti la so fa mi re do

ā€¦repeat as necessary. Accuracy in educated guesses increases with practice.

2 Likes