The Template for Crosspicking

People always say Yngwie can be a template for DWPS, Paul Gilbert one for two-way pickslanting.
Who would be the template for crosspicking? Steve Morse?
I’m primarily a DWPS guy, trying to learn crosspicking, just want an easy direction to follow, someone who does all the clichés of the technique.

Albert Lee is primarily DWPS but great at crosspicking, maybe he’d be a good place to start?

The Morse grip, for me, was easiest right out of the box for all the crosspicking. I’ve tried quite a few approaches too. If you go that route, best advice is to mimic his grip, keep the pickslant neutral and go for some phrases that require escapes in both directions. It should never feel tiring or something’s wrong.

Good luck!

3 Likes

Hey @looneytunes ! Since you are a MIM subscriber, I think the best way forward for you is to submit a technique critique on the platform. Looking for a “universal template” to follow might be misleading!

3 Likes

Thanks, Tommo! Which angle should I use in the footage?

Check out someone named Jake Eddy, he’s on Instagram. Great cross picker (IMHO), his technique looks solid and fluid, sounds smooth, holds the pick between thumb and first finger. Mainly bluegrass in style fyi.

I do support posting your own technique on the site here…everyone has their own way about it.

Not even sure if I'm crosspicking right right here

Will check that guy, thanks!