Thumb wiggle along a different axis

I wouldn’t worry about this. The best thing to do here is transcribe that piece and try to play it using your dsx motion. Most of Jake’s piece here seems to work with that anyway. Any sections that don’t fit that are so few and far between that it probably won’t matter. Don’t think about it and don’t slow down. Just make believe it doesn’t exist and just play through it. Try to be smooth, fast, and fluid throughout, regardless of whether you hit some bum notes here and there. This is true regardless of the escape type.

Over time, my guess is that because you are aware of the technical issues at play, you will figure out how to solve the very few remaining edge cases and “get them notes clean” as Andy Wood’s grandfather used to say. And you probably won’t have to think too much about them either in terms of micromanaging the motions - which is really what I want you to stop doing here.

Transcribe the piece and dive in!

1 Like

ok thanks!! I’ll give this ago - actually I have the first lick down this evening and can even do it at almost the full speed pretty well already!