To Shred or Get Shredded

That picture with the circled area is indicative of tennis elbow, which is tendinopathy of the wrist extensors and supinators. The opposite is golfers elbow, which is tendinopathy of the wrist flexors and pronators. Pain occurs on the inner elbow in this case.

Both are very common in people that do a lot of gaming/typing.

1 Like

Interesting! Pronation really triggered the pins and needles/numbness for me whenever I would try to do DSX wrist or elbow, thankfully my current motion is very supinated USX so hopefully it avoids the problem area entirely

1 Like

I’ve had friends from time to time try to get me to try it, but I’m too spooked of what could happen for guitar and climbing.

Can’t speak on the console controls, but my right pronator was definitely pissed from using a mouse. I switched to a “vertical” ergonomic mouse and all the issues pretty much went away in a few days.

I actually had a similar twinge from seated dumbbell high pulls! Pretty sure it was an extensor for me.

I got into a similar style (doggcrapp) early on, and it made me research some of Dorian Yates stuff. Brutal!

Having had a good amount of injuries, both acute and chronic, I emphasize recovery as much as I can. I have a hard “grip” day, then two “gripless” days.

I’m definitely on the lookout for an ergonomic keyboard though!

2 Likes

lol that was my routine too, Doggrapp. I even bought a video made by a guy who trained under Dante. He was a phd candidate at the time and the video was super thorough. Brutal, great results. The only reason I stopped is…you can’t really do that system with no spotter since you take each work set to failure and beyond. The guy I was lifting with didn’t like the program nearly as much as I did haha, so no more doggcrapp for me.

In hind sight, it was WAY too intense for someone like me with no dreams competing. I can’t argue with those results though. I specifically recall it adding 1 inch to my thighs and 1/2 inch to my biceps in just the first month (and this is all clean, I never have and never will use steroids). And those weren’t newbie gains either, because I’d been lifting semi-seriously (i.e. disciplined, 3 - 5 days per week) for a couple years prior to that.

2 Likes

replying to @Pepepicks66 as well. Doggcrapp is very intense. I follow a much more trimmed down version of that; going to momentary muscle failure twice a week. It’s great. A big part of it is how good your gym’s machines are. Most gyms dont have optimal machines. The solid hammer strength and nautilus machines are long gone in my area. In fact, Ive only been to one gym in my life that actually had a pullover machine lol.

2 Likes

Do you also track groups of compound movements per bodypart and swap them out when you plateau? That to me was the really brilliant part of Dante’s system. Both self motivating and addressing the issue of our bodies adapting to the same stimulus. Though I guess you did say ‘trimmed down’. If you’re doing all that, it’s pretty close to Doggcrapp, just fewer days per week lol

Yeah, agreed on the machines stuff. At the time I was going to a really good gym with great equipment. They even had a nice power rack, so in theory I could have gone to failure on even squats or bench presses with no spotter as long as I had the pins/bars set to bail myself out. That’s horrible gym etiquette to collapse under a heavy bar and disrupt everyone as the barbell crashes on the safety bars though lol

2 Likes

God, Doggcrapp. lol Giving me flashbacks to 20 years ago. A lot of the HIT variant routines work great if you’re pretty much dedicated to lifting and nothing else, and a little (or lot) of exogenous test in the mix makes it even better.

If you’re natty and interested in bodybuilding/general lifting, I think it pays to look at what lifters were doing (and what they looked like) in the earlier part of the 20th century, prior to the introduction of steroids. Steroids changed everything.

I’m out, gonna go read some T Nation now. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

We should change the title to Gym Rats, Gamers, and Guitarists. :smiley:

I would bet it even changed professional sports as well.

2 Likes

Lol nah. I don’t take it that seriously anymore. I don’t really do compound lifts anymore. Everything I do now is verryyyyyyy slow and to failure. Less volume more intensity, which is what Mentzer, Arthur Jones, Doggcrapp and Yates were getting at. I’ve been more so following these guys Drew Baye and Jay Vincent from Instagram and their model of the HIT training style; less volume more intensity. I haven’t made up my mind yet if it works as well as higher volume, but if I can maintain what I have going to the gym for 30 minutes every 3-5 days sign me up lol. Everyone online is trying to sell a product so it’s hard to pick out the flowers from the weeds if that makes sense. But exercise becomes a much more interesting topic if you think about it in relation to the dose and response effect as opposed to just constantly going as hard as one can 5 times a week lol

1 Like

See if you
Like my new title :joy:

If not, I’ll gladly throw your idea up there haha

1 Like

Wouldn’t you say it’s the opposite for HIT? From my understanding they were utilized to spend less time in the gym and workout less frequently

1 Like

One thing I realized is that pullups will lean me out. And I think it has to do with the fight or flight mechanism in our bodies. It is like forcing your body by pulling your entire body weight up when climbing a mountain or you die. If you have some bulk and want to lean out definitely do pull ups to failure, use an assisted pullup machine to help go for a wider grip and to go as far in the paint as you can. It is some of that broscience see if it works for you, I always get good results from doing them. If you can weighted is even better, but don’t go to crazy. Definitely utilize the pull up machine though cause you can maximize the pump like crazy by doing super high reps to failure.

Yea I like it. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I see what you’re saying about pull-ups feeling like flight or fight. But I don’t think the fight or flight response can be directly related to building muscle. Is there research behind this?

Glad you like
My name. You get credit since it came from your idea! Lol

1 Like

no idea but i noticed it over a period of kind of doing them when i never really had, and noticed i was losing weight. like i said broscience try it see what you can get out of it. if nothing else it is a dang good exercise if you use a wide grip to hit them lats.

1 Like

Well, if you’re really doing HIT like it was intended, you’re supposed to push to failure every session, though with minimal volume. And then the crazy stretching in DC and such was purportedly to induce hyperplasia, I believe (though last I recall there was no actual evidence this could occur in humans). All this stuff can take a pretty extreme toll (physically and mentally) on someone versus a plain old 3-5 day split, even if it technically takes less time to do.

That said, I believe everyone’s just got to experiment and see what works for them (hey, kinda like picking motions!)

2 Likes

ive had a pull up bar in my folks garage and have been doing them for a long time. God bless the pull up it’s a great movement. If i could only do one exercise for the rest of my life it might be the pull up!

That’s the thing. Everyone puts their own spin on, “how it was intended,” so currently it’s twice a week, 30 minutes tops, full body or close to it, one set to absolute failure. I really like the way it feels. Minimal rest periods. Very slow reps. It’s just hard to say if it works for multiple reasons.; before I got bored of the high gear lifting life (i did compete in bodybuilding once as well), i think i was close to my natural genetic limit, and I don’t care to eat all the food anymore! Not to turn this into a bodybuilding forum, but I also have decent genetics for building muscle so it’s hard to say what works and what doesnt lol

This video is more of what I do now. Rosanna - YouTube

I hope it works because I actually enjoy working out like this. Slower, more intense, feels more connected IMO

Edit: WOW i did not mean to paste a link to Rosanna but enjoy that tune anyway! here the other link lol

3 Likes

If you enjoy it, that’s awesome and worth a lot. Whether it works would require monitoring some metric, and that’s where I feel HIT gets a little weird - you can’t accurately measure intensity. So, if you’re trying to maintain, I guess watch that your measurements aren’t decreasing? Maybe every once in a while go for a near max in one of the powerlifts to see that strength isn’t taking too much of a hit? I don’t know.

1 Like

I worked out with a guy that could do the fastest hack squat machine explosion i had ever seen. he would rep the hell of it fast, and i use to ask him, dude doesnt that burn hurt? i think he could just mentally block out the lactic acid build up, dude was one of my main inspirations when i lifted. his intensity was over 9000.

You guys ever seen that crazy russian olympic powerlifter do that tabata routine? This guy is like superhuman.

2 Likes

I see what you’re saying but the logic behind the intensity is going to true muscular failure. By doing this, supposedly, you stimulate all the muscle fibers triggering growth. And there are certain markers for knowing you’ve reached failure. But yeah I hear ya it’s all tough to follow

1 Like