Tornado of souls solo coming along!

Good job @jjsnibor, one day you gotta sit down with me and teach me this awesome solo :slight_smile:

I have two suggestions regarding the “ghost note”:

1. Try your “old way” of doing it with the DSX-alternate method, and check if the note sounds properly this way

2. keep doing the sweep but hold down briefly the first 2 notes on the pattern like a chord, instead of putting down the fretting fingers one after the other. The sweep purists will be horrified by this suggestion, but I bet that at 200bpm the notes don’t really have time to ring into each other properly.

And in general yes, if you are going for the USX-sweep approach things may get easier if you allow just a tiny bit more DWPS, so the pick slides more easily across the DD sweeps.

Let us know how these attempts go :slight_smile:

Another thing I noticed is that your guitar and the backing track sounded a bit out of tune with each other. Assuming your guitar is in standard tuning, could it be that the record was not exactly tuned @440hz?

1 Like

You are sounding great on this, Marty’s phrasing style has to one of the hardest to nail in all of metal

2 Likes

Yes! So easy to want to move on to another piece!

That’s good policy for avoiding insanity!

Thanks! Yeah, he’s tough to emulate. Although I really benefited from learning how he plays fast stuff, my favorite thing that I’ve picked up from his playing is that yank bending that he does. I love his articulation most!

The isolated Marty-only track on youtube is encouraging: helps to hear he’s not PERFECT on some stuff. Rhythm guitars really help cover inconsistencies.

1 Like

Excellent ideas!

I have tried going back to my original DSX motion but it’s so fast that I fall apart.

And yes, I’m sure my guitar Was Out Of Tune a bit at the point I recorded that video. Good ears!

Also I have to admit that the Ben Eller tutorial on this solo on YouTube was VERY helpful.

spent much time last night and today just playing that motion with USX like Marty and made progress. Last night I was playing those arpeggios better but had to slow it down to about 140 to consistently get all four notes of each arpeggio. Today, I got up to 175!

and today I when I slo-mo-ed my attempts at 198 I at least hit a few of those upward sweep notes I was missing. slow, frustrating progress.

1 Like