Transcription: Yngwie Play Loud! Movement 1

Yngwie quite often uses i m r for most licks, including 5 7 8. The only time he really uses his pinky is in a 5 7 9, where he will play it i m p. It does help a lot. I’ve developed some problems with my pinky over the last four years, where I have a problem with the strength, like my pinky doesn’t want to bend to fret a note. It sucks, but playing like Schenker and Yngwie helps, by ignoring my pinky. Hard to play Paul Gilbert licks though (that’s an excuse lol).

Sorry to hear that about your pinky @shredhead7 but great that you’ve persevered and found a workaround.

I’m just watching the Play Loud video again and yes YJM doesn’t use his pinky alot up high but he does use it down low like on 5, 7, 8.

I used to be the same but I found playing 3NPS scales like fast PG stuff high up it’s easier to use the pinky right up to the top fret, otherwise I seemed to get in a mess with my fingers when coming down to lower strings.

Vai also seems to limit the use of his pinky up high even on 12, 14, 16 or 12, 15, 17 shapes but it also depends on how big your hands are I guess. My hands are relatively small and I find it hard to stretch from 3 to 7 using the pinky.

It’s funny how Yngwie’s pinky high up is off the fret board but you can see it wiggling and moving in time with his ring finger.

i just paid for the 1 month plan… and still cant print this???

@NCASO Sorry for any confusion here, the Soundslice subscription does not give permission to print - only the author can control it. At the moment, I’m choosing not to enable printing for any of my transcriptions. Printing allows anyone to duplicate the entire notation as a pdf document, and I prefer to keep some level of ownership on my work. This is a free resource, but I have to keep a few strings attached. Apologies for any inconvenience.

understood. and thank you again for you work in this. i appreciate it.

I think use whatever fingers work best for you!

Here’s a guy who does a really good job on the Paul Gilbert lick with just his first 3 fingers - really opened my eyes to being more open to different ways of playing things as I used to think I had to use the pinky! But some of PG’s big stretches you are of course correct would be difficult without the 4th!

1 Like