Transition from tremolo to slower tempos

Does anyone teach this online? Is there a method to approach building speed? I have figured out a solid tremolo technique. Now what? Is this addressed on the website? I would really appreciate any thoughts or advice on how to transition from tremolo into slower alternate picking while maintaining correct technique. Thanks!
Bosco.

Your next step is a single string line like the Yngwie 6’s or even simple 1-2-3, 1-2-4 and the reverse of those. Use ‘chunking’ (can search the forum) to starting locking in your timing.

I think the metronome can be helpful here for you to ‘slow down’ as needed, set it at or above the 150bpm mark and get a feel for 16th’s (just as an example), then turn it off and start chunking a single string pattern aiming for the first note of the pattern to land each time and not worrying too much about all the other notes landing perfectly. Go as fast as you want to/feel good about above that speed.

If your picking is fast and smooth (not necessarily perfectly accurate), then your ‘technique is correct’.

Once you have that I would start going for phrases you like, keeping it as musical as inspires you. Avoid mindless repetition this way - my opinion.

You need to know if you tend toward DSX or USX when you start changing strings so you can choose phrases that will land well.

If you haven’t seen it, Toy just put out a one page explainer on alt picking. I’ll link here

1 Like

Thanks for your response. Very thoughtful and considerate. Disclaimer: I’m a jazz and bluegrass guy. I don’t really even know who Yngwie is. I’m interested in Doc Watson and Joe Pass and not shredding.
As far as I can tell, the great flatpickers use straight alternate picking. That is what I’m looking to develop. Any way thanks again. and the link is excellent!

1 Like

I had written a similar reply about this to someone else, but basically start relying on accented notes to drive the target tempo. Try to accent your tremolo picking to feel the quarter note or half note (so every 4th or 8th note), or if you’re trying to play something with sextuplets, try to accent every 6th note. Ideally this will allow you to feel the tempo better, then slow it down from there.

I assume you mean to accent the down stroke every 4 beats? (4th note is an upstroke).

1 Like

Exactly, sorry if that came out wrong, but you’re exactly right. Accent the downstroke at the beginning of every group of 4, 6, or 8 notes.

Lots of Bluegrass on this site check out the Molly Tuttle interview. I love Doc Watson too.

Thanks. I have seen most of them. Really great stuff. None of them address my question directly, though.

I think I’m mostly DSX, like Andy Wood or Mike Marshall. That seems to be the most natural motion. I can get a good, solid pulse going, fluid and clean without much effort. I don’t get tired when I am doing it correctly. Just can’t find a way to get the speed up.

Post a video of the issue. I’ve gotten over some humps with the sharp eyes on this forum.