Trying to start out the right way

I’m glad I’m helping you!
I’m finding that by trying to help others I’m learning quite a bit in the process as well.

Another update, trying to cover the palm muting aspect while maintaining a similar pick angle and movement.

Normal speed:

Slo mo:

Don’t want to get ahead of myself but here’s a quick/scrappy attempt and applying this motion to the fives pattern I was attempting at the start of this thread.

Normal speed:

Slo mo:

Any critique or advice from anyone much appreciated!

1 Like

That looks great!! Big improvement.
The 5’s pattern was nice and smooth. It looked like it “felt” natural as well.
Keep up the good work.

1 Like

Hey thanks for the encouragement! Good to know I’m starting to understand what I’m supposed to be doing. Pretty crazy how it can take a whole week to emulate a basic movement. Looking forward to applying it now.

If anyone else has any tips or critiques please share!

Thanks to everyone who has helped so far.

2 Likes

Hey @travloser,
great to see you working on it! There are a couple of things I noticed when watching/listening to the first clip especially.

You’re not actually muting the strings. Maybe you didn’t want to and instead you just wanted to bring your hand in a position where you could? It sure looks like that would be possible. Did you try to play that muted?

Also, and maybe more importantly: the “rhythm” of your tremolo isn’t even. It’s very obvious in slow motion, but you can also hear it at normal tempo. For every two notes you play, there is a tendency for the first one to be shorter than the second one. Listen to it and see if you can hear it.

I know, a tremolo isn’t really intended to have a particular rhythm. But you want to be able to play evenly and keep time. Playing fast is cool, but timing is absolutely neccessary, and it’s more important that speed. So I would suggest, that you don’t focus on the speed so much, but more on the movement. Pick a moderate tempo and try to make it feel and sound good. I would say you don’t have to stick to the tremolo thing. You can also play some little snippet or part of the scale (just because it might be more fun).

Ok, that was a lot of critique. I hope I don’t come across as offending you. I don’t mean to discourage you, quite to the contrary! I actually hesitated for a moment before writing this post. But I know you want to improve and these things are really important.

1 Like

Hey thanks for taking the time to respond! No offence taken, I have no pride when it comes to guitar, I know I’m garbage and I think that’s to be expected after only a year of playing!

Sorry for the misunderstand about the muting, I was only trying to somewhat mute the unplayed strings, and let the string I was playing ring out!

As for the uneven tremolo, I hadn’t even thought about that, so thanks for pointing it out. It looks like I’m “following through” on the upstrokes much more than on the downstrokes. Perhaps I was subconsciously exaggerating the upstrokes to emphasise the string clearance motion of the DWPS I was attempting? Not sure. Either way I’ll have a go at evening out the tremolo and keeping the downs/ups even when playing other things using this method!

Thanks for the tip!

1 Like