Trying to take on DSX

Hello all,

The main purpose of this video is to ask for feedback on my DSX picking (video at the bottom) and any other commentary is welcome/encouraged. Feel free to skip straight to the video but the text below is to give you background and context.

Right now, I’m a USX player and get a lot of my speed from forearm/elbow movement. I’ve started trying to develop DSX so that I can eventually play 2WPS comfortably.

Right now, it seems like my three big struggles are:

1. Actually getting the appropriate angle so that I can escape on the down stroke (I think I’m achieving it but it’s not easy).
  2. Not using my fingers for a lot of the movement (again I think I’m achieving it but it takes a lot of conscious effort).
  3. This is the big one, speed. In the few months that I’ve been a part of this forum, I’ve learned that a big part of my natural speed is my forearm/elbow movement. However, I’m finding it very difficult to use that same movement for speed with my forearm rotated to get the appropriate DSX angle. I think it might still be do-able but if so, it’ll take a lot of muscle development like learning to play for the first time or learning to do something left handed. Because it’s currently awkward though (and I don’t know if DSX with elbow movement is normal), I’m also trying to develop the speed via wrist movement. I’m not sure I’m anatomically setup for high speed wrist movement but lots of other people can do it so I’m going to give it a shot.

So here is the video. As of 1:00 PM (PST) 12/18, YouTube is still processing the HD version but the SD version should already be available.

EDIT: I just watched the video for the first time and it kind of looks like I’m doing cross picking… Is that the case? If so, how the heck do you get the pick down in between the strings on the upstroke when the thumb is there? Do DSX player always have a really high grip on the pick or am I just pulling back up when I should be stopping and going in the other direction?

Why are you trying to prevent your fingers from moving?

The finger movement I’m referring to is the thumb and forefinger moving in and out. I wouldn’t expect to get the speed I’m looking for from this movement. I think there would also be problems trying to switch from elbow movement to finger movement when eventually doing 2WPS. I could be wrong though, do you know of any examples of people doing DSX or 2WPS at high speeds with mostly finger movement?

This is just anecdotal for me, but I think I have a degree of finger movement at high speeds that’s definitely noticeable at speeds like your video.

I dumped a bunch of videos in there if you’re curious.

Thanks! I couldn’t view all of the videos but I think I see what you mean. I am ok with some finger movement but I mentioned it because there were a couple times right before recording where the finger movement was most of the movement (so a lot more than in the video) and I could tell I didn’t want that.

1 Like