What contributed to each of your guitar "breakthroughs"?

Hi. Can’t find the vid about leading/trailing edge picking. Could you pls post link to it?

Here’s my list of the things i changed over the past 3 years (pretty much all picking mechanic):

• Pick grip - close to Troy’s trigger grip. Previously my index finger was more extended and pointing in the same direction as the pick point
  • Anchoring - just behind the bridge. Was forearm on upper bout only, no anchor near the wrist
  • Basic motion - Wrist deviation (side to side). Was elbow-based.
  • DBX motion in and out of the string plane - I’m calling it “key turning”, see other recent thread for demo and additional discussion. Was calling it “motorcycle grip”, and before that I had no intentional DBX motion (and no particular alternate picking capability).

Looking back to confirm some of these terms, it appears that resultant motion is similar to Troy’s “Forearm Rotation”, even though I didn’t approach it that way. I started (conceptually) with Wrist Deviation, and then added in a little of what I’m calling the “Key Turning Motion”. Please pardon my usage of these terms if they collide with better definitions elsewhere.

Standing up! As of… today, I’ve found a solution to a number of problems all at once.

Pick point flying all over the place, unable to mute the low E when playing high E, unable to descend comfortably… All this has been a pain in my ass for a while now.

The solution, I stood up…

The actual solution was a higher approach angle to the guitar. So when I’m standing, even though the guitar is quite high, I have a steeper approach angle.

Now my muting is far better. I have better control over the pick point rotating all over the place and don’t have to worry about slouching affecting my approach angle. I had a tendency to slouch a lot when sitting and without realising it, it was affecting my approach angle.

So great, now I can actually get back to learning some phrases and not worry so much about the pick flying across the room or horrid low E string drones. :tada:

1 Like

Yep, depending on sitting VS standing position, quite a lot can change! Approach angle and amount of flex in the elbow (more closed / open) can make a world of difference.

Similar thing when you compare right VS left leg.

1 Like

Yes, and I find it quite difficult to not slouch when seated. When I slouch, my approach angle changes which then affects my edge picking etc etc.

It could also be a case of getting a better stool to sit on and a foot rest… but for now, I’ll stand and get used to what feels right!

1 Like

i think learning a song all the way through helped me breakthrough quite a few barriers and trying to get it as fast as my body will allow. even if that means i can only play it at 70% speed because some part of the solo limits it at least i know the entire piece. its just more joyful to be able to actual play something rather than nothing at all even if it might put you to sleep. :smiley: