What string gauge do you use?

Lots of guitars, big variety of gauges. Like the thicker strings for a more pronounced and stately tone, thinner for being practical with bending ease and keeping things easier on my hands. I’ve got some hand problems and I have to play a lot of guitar. So I’d probably like the lead sounds on my strat with 12s or something but I’m not going to torture (and potentially re-injure) myself.

On my 25,5 guitars I use 10-46. I have a sevenstring with 27" scale (hence my username), I use 10-59 on that one (it’s tuned one whole-tone step down).

I use elixir 10-46 for E standard but my D standard guitar uses 11-56 so they are not as floppy. I heard rusty cooley state that he plays closer to the bridge for the fast stuff due to the string not moving as much the closer to the bridge you get.

@Hanky_Pooh Yeah, as low as I can go without buzzing.

Dunlop Heavy Core in Heavy gauge, which is 10-48 (10-13-17-28-38-48), be it on a 24.75in or 25.5 scale length in E standard. I like the slightly thicker strings when I pick while still keeping somewhat flexible high strings without being too thin. I can’t consistently bend 11-48/49 plain strings.

Currently sticking with 11s on all of my guitars. Good for metal, although I never tune down and play a six string exclusively.

I’m only using elixirs these days.
At the moment I have 2 guitars with 10-46 and one with 9-42. All my guitars are 25"5 (one strat, one chapman ML1 and a charvel st dimas pro mod 1), all in standard tuning.

9s or 8s on 25.5", 10s on 24.75", 12s to tune down to C. D’addario NYXL.
12s for acoustic. Phosphor bronze on dreadnaughts. 80/20 bronze on smaller bodies. I recently started using silk & steel for fingerpicking on my parlor guitar.

Elixir user here, as well - 10s on my electrics, and while I’m currently using a, I thiunk, 62 bass string as a low B on my double-locking guitars, I ordered a few of their 10-59 seven string sets to try to see if I get on welll enough with those. 59 seems a hair lighter thann I might prefer, but it’s not THAT far off what I’m using, so… I used to use 11s with a 68 low B, but that got a little too bruising when I hadn’t played much in a couple weeks and went to play some bluesier stuff.

On acoustic, 12s.

8–38, where the thickest four strings are tuned flat a semitone (4ths). I’d prefer to use Elixir, but they don’t make them in my size, so I usually use Ernie Ball.

Fender YJM Bullets 8 - 46 tuned to E flat.
Fender YJM Stratocaster latest model.
Action setup high with bridge floating.

Does Yngwie himself still use 8s tunes down a half step? I know he used to, just not sure about his 2018 gear.

GHS Boomers .010-.046

Ernie Ball slinky .010 on 24 3/4 scale.
And .09 on 25 1/2 scale

I have 2 guitars and I’m using different tunings and string gauges fro each (both of them has the same scale length, 25.5")

I’m using D’addario NYXL 10-52 for E standard (sometimes drop D) and Ernie Ball 12-56 for C standard (sometimes drop A#)

Pretty sure that’s his staple now.

I’m starting to think that I should change all my guitars to 9s… now that I am practicing much more (I blame CTC!) I noticed that my left hand can get sore after a long session with10s (especially if I try to work on bends/vibrato). Why am I working so hard? :smiley:

Don’t bend!

Just shred :wink:

I say go to 9s! I went to 8s for a lot of weeks on my Mayones Hydra due to arthritic pain in my left hand. It settled down and I moved back up to 9s and all is good.

I know what your saying. For grueling, long practices, thicker strings can take their toll… especially when bending a lot.

But I am ok with 11’s. I think I’ve had to spend a bit more time focusing on being more economical with my fretting mechanics… and 11’s now feel like 10’s used to feel.

I am actually considering going up. But where can you go when you’re all the way up to 11?